Questions About Neon Tetras

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I am heading out to get some neon tetras tomorrow but I have some questions:

1. I've heard in a Youtube video someone saying that the temperature of the water must remain consistent with neon tetras, well I live in Arizona and I use an aquarium fan for my aquarium, so the temperature generally fluctuates by 1 degree when the fan kicks on and off, would that be ok?

2. What temperature should neon tetras be kept at?

3. I've also heard that they like low pH, mine is 7.6, would that be ok?

4. I have LED lighting in my aquarium on for about 8 hours, are they ok with bright lighting?

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Small temp fluctuations are fine. 78 is a good temperature for neons and your pH should be just fine for them also.

Read up on some other info you'll need through these links. You will probably want to wait to get fish.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Neon Tetra Fish

That will help you be successful at keeping them healthy.

3. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

is it a newly set up tank?? or the tank already has other fishes?? if it has other fishes what type of fishes?

4. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

A temp fluctuation of 1 degree is perfectly fine. Neons thrive in the cooler temperatures, so 70-75f is good for permanent housing.

A pH of 7.6 is fine, but they won't do well in hard water. I have soft water with the same pH as yours, and Neon Tetras seem to thrive whenever I have kept them, so soft water is key, pH needs to be very stable though.

Like most fish, really bright lighting isn't required or natural for them. Some floating/tall plants and a good hardscape should provide them with some shaded quiet areas though.

5. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Good advice. They struggle mightily in hard water. Doubt any survived for much over a year when I attempted them many times. Usually a lot less than a year.

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

In a darker tank, they will adjust their colours and look a lot better. So get some broad leafed plants for shade and they'll thank you very obviously. A dark backing on the tank also brings up the colours.
    A 3 degree temperature change over a day is acceptable for them.
    A pH of 7.6 is okay. I agree with the others above - it's hardness (minerals in the water) that matters, but pH is usually an indicator of that. I have never been to Arizona, but in most places 7.6 will reflect medium hard water near the maximum of what a neon likes. Don't top up the tank for evaporation but do a small water change instead - it keeps the minerals from building up. Somehow, Arizona, desert, it says you will have minerals to me. You won't breed them in your water, but with good care (and healthy fish from the store), you should be able to have them for 3-5 years.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

It is a quarantine tank, but the main tank currently has 3 guppies and 3 platys.
    The n tank will main tank will also have:
    1 dwarf/honey gourami
    1 Bolivian Ram
    8 Panda Cories

I've heard that neon tetras don't like hard water but I have 10 neons as a part of my stocking and they are currently in quarantine, I live in Arizona so I am pretty sure I have hard water. Is it a huge problem if they are in hard water or is it negligible? They are still in the return period, so if I have to then I can return them...

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Do you mean PH or Hardness ?

some people mistaken the two being the same.

9. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Get a hardness test kit for a better answer. They are not expensive. Water is very hard where I live and neons drop like flies. One of the only fish I can not keep in my water.

10. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

I think they will do just fine just keep the water parameters and temperature in check iam sure they will be ok :)

Test your water and make sure, neons do not do great in hard water, they will not be able to survive it.

11. JesseMoreira06

what size tank is it?

neon tetras need temp between 70f-74f.

12. OP
    OP
    Z

My pH is 7.6, but I mean hardness

@OnTheFly @Shadow2331
    I do not have a hardness test kit and getting one from Amazon will take about 2 weeks, then the neons get past the return period...

I called the store employee where I bought the neons from and she said water in Arizona is hard but the neons live in their tanks

Tank is 29 gallons

13. JesseMoreira06

They will do fine up to medium hard water , very hard water forget about it.

14. OP
    OP
    Z

15. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

Did you try to find out if they actually do something for the hardness of their water?? or they just keep it in the hard water directly, they must have done something to soften the water.

16. JesseMoreira06

17. OP
    OP
    Z

She said you can't get soft water in Arizona so I'm pretty sure that they don't add anything, she also said that it was a myth

18. JesseMoreira06

I think it'll be fine , apenrently it varies by well but your city has an average hardness of 7 grain which is about 120ppm and neon tetras do fine between 50-150ppm but this is just your Gh your total TDS might be alittle higher.

I could explain it better if you wish??

19. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

ok then i recommend you add them slowly buy small amount first see how they do, and if they look fine add few more, dont get all at once and add them, go slowly all the best :)

20. OP
    OP
    Z

I got 10 of them which is all that I need, right now they are in quarantine. Do you think 5 days will show wheater they will tolerate the hardness or not? because they have a 5 day guarantee

Wait but we don't use wells, or is that where the city gets the water from?