Questions about my skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmer' started by Oryo, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Oryo

OryoNew MemberMember

I recently started to go through my garage looking for the stuff I had for my old 60 gallon tank that is buried still in the corner behind the kids old clothes & toys. I found my old skimmer which and used for many years and don't remember having any problems with it. I believe the skimmer was good for tanks for 80 gallons to 135 gallons and its big and bulky! It's been almost 7-8 years since it was last used so I had to remember how to connect everything up again. This skimmer has one part that goes into the wet/dry and the last wet/dry I had with this skimmer was so much bigger and had room. With this wet/dry the pumps are right next to the skimmer tube that is producing bubbles. I have a couple of questions that maybe members here can help.

A. I have a 36 gallon tank now and wondering would this skimmer be too much for this smaller tank?
    B. I have these little micro bubbles being produced and going into the tank and was wondering if this was normal until the skimmer breaks in? I was told by somebody that is the case just want to make sure?

It's been maybe 13-14 years when I first started the skimmer the last time and can't remember if it did this the last time?? :eek:

I thought of buying a new skimmer at first because this skimmer is so big and I'm limited in space but since I have this one I'm hoping I won't have too?

2. OP
    OP
    Oryo

OryoNew MemberMember

Bueller?
    Bueller?

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Umm, He's sick.

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, sorry for not seeing this thread earlier.

Do you know the model, or water flow rate of the skimmer? About 5x turnover per hour is pretty good for a skimmer. To be honest, I don't know what happens if the skimmer is massively over-rated for the tank. I would think (guessing here), that it may not be as efficient. The water may pass through too quickly :;dk

Micro bubbles are very common, that's baffles are put in the sump so that bubbles float to the top, and not into the tank. It could be a break in thing, I know mine subsided within 1 or 2 days, but if the bubbles stay longer than that, maybe you need to look for some form of diffusion. Too, if the skimmer is massively over-rated, maybe that contributes.

I'm trying to guess (based on my knowledge of how they work) at what you could do. Can you post a photo of the setup?

Also, is it a venturi skimmer? I know the venturi skimmers tend to expel less bubbles.

5. OP
    OP
    Oryo

OryoNew MemberMember

I have had the skimmer set up since Saturday and the skimmer is producing the micro bubbles that is being pumped into the tank. I put a filter pad at the of the skimmer that the bubbles are being produced and going to the sump. I thought that might of helped but the bubbles are going strong. My wife and I have noticed ever since I have connected the skimmer the tank is getting hit more with brown/rust algae. Could the bubbles be causing this?

I have also noticed that my Yellow Tang since Saturday has been breathing heavier than usual and wondering if all this is related to the skimmer. I did a 40% water change a week ago and do you think I need another one?

When I get home from work I will try to take picture of set up but since the skimmer is almost 15+ years old I couldn't find a model number or brand.

I believe it might be a venturi skimmer and found this that looks like how the skimmer is except where the water comes out it goes through a pvc pipe and into the sump:

Thank you.. Ory

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Oryo

OryoNew MemberMember

I'm noticing after 1 week the micro bubbles are there but decreasing day by day. I'm assuming the skimmer is breaking in and I hope the bubbles will eventually be gone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice