Questions About My Nano Reef

Esimm03

Hi,
So I had a few questions about my nano reef:

1.) I have noticed these starfish in my tank, are they harmful l and can I leave them in the tank?

1260b1dc4fe20e6cefc740a4922ebf26.jpg

2.) There's a lump on my acan coral, is this a new head or is it a tumor/parasite?

51f178493f620ab87274ba583754e49a.jpg

3.) My hermet crabs are spending a lot of time next to the shells I put out for them, I was wondering if this means they are thinking about moving, and is there a way to encourage them?

4.) A while ago I bought a mushroom leather coral, I had to relocate it as the desired location had no flow and nearly killed it, now the front sand bed it packed with coral, is this ok and will they sting/hurt each other?

4528eb6a089557f87d8a6d77321d4423.jpg

Thank you,
Ethan

thesoulpatch

Nart grantm91 stella1979 LJC6780
KristaD

stella1979

The sea star is an Asterina, considered a pest by many because they can populate pretty fast. Some people want asterinas to feed harlequin shrimp.

Can't be sure on the acan, but hopefully it's a new polyp. I have seen lumps on a duncan and a paly grandis that within a few days were recognizable as new polyps.

That front corner does look crowded and things will get shaded if you're not careful. I would try to move the kenya tree (I think that's what it is), and perhaps the shroom too. Maybe the kenya could just go to the rocks just above?

grantm91

The starfish are pretty harmless, personally ive seen them on top of my zoas with no harm done, however I wouldnt like them on say sps corals, I remove them manually when I'm doing maintenance but I don't go out my way over them, just keep them to a minimum. I don't own an acan but it looks like a little head, but don't quote me. The hermits, just leave them to it. The corals next to the mushroom are fine, just learn for future reference which corals have feeder tentacles like favites, hammer etc and try to place them with enough room not to sting anything. Someone else may a better explanation for you on the acan.

I posted my reply before I seen stella1979 reply, but its a good point about the mushroom gsp and kenya tree, being all rapid growers more room is ideally needed.

Esimm03

Hi,
Thanks for the replies .

I think I'll move the Kenya tree to the other side of the tank so it has a bit more room.

The lump on the acan has been there for a few weeks so I think it might be a new head (hopefully)

I think I will keep the starfish as they are not harming anything and look cool.

I was also wondering what the purple stuff on the rocks is, it's been growing a lot lately. Is it Coralie alge?

Thanks,
Ethan

LJC6780

Asternia stars will eat algae and biofilm. I don’t ever remove them and they are not at all taking over in my tank ... I think they can though. I think they are sort of the pond snail of the salt world. Harmless but can populate quickly.
I don’t see anything wrong with the acan. Hopefully it’s just a new head.

Yep. Purple coralline algae. If it starts covering everything, be sure to keep a check on your calcium because it will consume it like corals.
I don’t think those corals will hurt anything ... they will grow pretty quickly though and will need more room. But lots of full reefs have corals touching other corals and it’s beautiful. Mine will eventually be like that!

Esimm03

Asternia stars will eat algae and biofilm. I don’t ever remove them and they are not at all taking over in my tank ... I think they can though. I think they are sort of the pond snail of the salt world. Harmless but can populate quickly.
I don’t see anything wrong with the acan. Hopefully it’s just a new head.

Yep. Purple coralline algae. If it starts covering everything, be sure to keep a check on your calcium because it will consume it like corals.
I don’t think those corals will hurt anything ... they will grow pretty quickly though and will need more room. But lots of full reefs have corals touching other corals and it’s beautiful. Mine will eventually be like that!
Ok,

Is Coralie alge a good sign?

I have lots of pond snails in my freshwater planted and they are cool

Ethan

LJC6780

Ok,

Is Coralie alge a good sign?

I have lots of pond snails in my freshwater planted and they are cool

Ethan

Coralline algae can be a sign of a maturing tank. It can be pretty but can also be a nuisance when it starts growing in places you don’t want it, like the glass. I like the bright pink variety the best. The purple seems dull to me.

Esimm03

Coralline algae can be a sign of a maturing tank. It can be pretty but can also be a nuisance when it starts growing in places you don’t want it, like the glass. I like the bright pink variety the best. The purple seems dull to me.
Ok,
My tank is amazing me it's only about 15 weeks old and it is doing so well .

Can I scrub it off if it grows on the glass with a toothbrush?

Thanks,
Ethan

LJC6780

Ok,
My tank is amazing me it's only about 15 weeks old and it is doing so well .

Can I scrub it off if it grows on the glass with a toothbrush?

Thanks,
Ethan

No but you can scrape it with a metal scraping tool (the kind for algae). It’s calcium and hard and brittle. It scrapes off fairly easily. It’s just about to completely cover the bottom of my tank since I don’t scrape the bottom. (Bare bottom).

Esimm03

No but you can scrape it with a metal scraping tool (the kind for algae)
Ok,

Thank you very much for the help and advice

Ethan

ezzelld

Ok,

Thank you very much for the help and advice

Ethan
Metal scraper example....
5d7e44bb095d8ba4bb2d2616aa246b55.jpg

Esimm03

Metal scraper example....
5d7e44bb095d8ba4bb2d2616aa246b55.jpg
Cool,
I'm just paranoid about scratching the acrylic.

Ethan

grantm91

I use the magic sponges ethan,
6bf6f00a36e455813115dc49b5b01f28.jpg the work anazing, I can't trust myself with the blade I scratched my tank already. On acrylic you could probably use credit card, worth a try.

Esimm03

I use the magic sponges ethan,
6bf6f00a36e455813115dc49b5b01f28.jpg the work anazing, I can't trust myself with the blade I scratched my tank already. On acrylic you could probably use credit card, worth a try.
Ok,
My turbo snail seems to be doing a good job, if it gets out of control I'll get a spounge.

Will carbon reduce alge?

Esimm03

Hi,
I know I have made a few if these but I had some more questions to ask:

1.)
My tube worm has regrown its crown, sections of the tube have fallen off and a clear 'jelly' is left, is this it regrowing?

f41b23f8265d546efc49ef86ccf1d418.jpg

2.)
My acan is growing a new head, it is often deflated so the head is exposed is this so the new head can get light?

3.)

My hermet crab grabbed onto my turbo snail:

42d99dc0b66612b95e4a7b14a5d0b702.jpg

I quickly pulled them apart and the hermet crab tried to get into the snail, I blew him with the turkey baster and he ran off, I have added some smaller shells into the tank, similar to the snail's size.

Is the snail going to be ok?

Ethan

LJC6780

Add lots of different sizes of shells ... he’s either hungry or or looking for a home.

Esimm03

Add lots of different sizes of shells ... he’s either hungry or or looking for a home.
Ok, I have lots of.large shells already on there, but he dosnt seem to be interested.

Ethan

LJC6780

Ok, I have lots of.large shells already on there, but he dosnt seem to be interested.

Ethan

Are there different sizes and types? I give mine lots to choose from and have only ever had my orange striped hermits go after a snail and one went after my conch! They both got a trip to the sump! They’ll trade out shells often and even go back to abandoned ones ...

Esimm03

Are there different sizes and types? I give mine lots to choose from and have only ever had my orange striped hermits go after a snail and one went after my conch! They both got a trip to the sump! They’ll trade out shells often and even go back to abandoned ones ...
I started off with 4 and now have about 7 in there, is it true that a general rule of thumb is to have 3 times the amount of shells as crabs?

When I was originally going to get my 250 I planned on 11 crabs, and ended up collecting and buying around 33 shells, which now sit in a box.

LJC6780

Never heard that personally ... I just have a ton in my tank. Crabs are crabs though ... I’m not sure they have to have a reason to attack a snail. May just be an incompatible crab.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies
Views
K3nzie
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • FishPlanet