Questions About My Community Stocking Plan Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AlekN, Aug 19, 2019.

1. AlekN

AlekNNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi! A few questions from a newbie setting up his 2nd tank. So I was planning on stocking my new 55g with a school of

15 silvertip tetra

10-12 cherry barbs

8 corydora

a pair of german blue rams

4 or 5 otocinclus cats

First thing is I have heard of people saying silvertip tetra are aggressive and tend to be fin-nippy in contradiction to how they are widely advertised as a peacefu community fish. In the majority of these stories the people only kept a small group of around 6 silvertip tetra. So one of my questions is if I get a school of 15 silvertips will they be aggressive towards the other fish? With the large amounts of plants and cover my tank provides (which will only increase as the plants grow), I feel like the silvertips will be peaceful in a school of 15, but I haven't ever kept silvertips so i'm not so sure. Does anyone have experience that can help advise me?

Secondly, is my community plan overstocked? And are there any other potential compatibility issues I may not realize with the fish I plan on keeping together? If I go with silvertips then I would definitely want to keep a school of 15 if it keeps them peaceful. As for the other schools I can adjust their size if overstocking is an issue (which i'm not sure if its overstocked), so I would appreciate any suggestions on adjusting the size of the schools if needed. I appreciate your time and help!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    My best advice is be sure your tank is cycled , you have enough filtration and all the fish you choose are temp compatible. I think i covered the basics but better stocking pros will come along to help you further with more opinions on your stock and whatnot. Good luck! Pics are always encouraged when everything is figured out :)

3. OP
    OP
    AlekN

AlekNNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you! Yes my tank is nearing the end of the cycle as nitrites are getting lower with nitrates coming in so i'm excited to start stocking and will probably only introduce one school at a time to make sure the bacteria can handle the load.

4. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +138
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have no experiance with silver tipped tetra.
    The stocking sounds fine size wise.
    I would go with 8 otos. But I would wait until you have algae growth to add them. If the live plants prevent you from having algae, consider growing some algae in the window or somthing before adding the Otos. As you may know, some otos will take time to eat store bought foods. if the ever do.

5. OP
    OP
    AlekN

AlekNNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Yea i have plenty of algae growth already so they would be a perfect addition. I know Otos are vegetarians so once the algae is gone I will feed with algae wafers. I will get more otocinclus as you suggest. Thank you!