Questions about mts

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

Ok i've been reaaaally curious about this matter. I know that mts give birth to live young. And i've been doing some research but i couldn't get the answers i was looking for.
    So here are my questions.
    From what i've read up about, mts need to mate only once and they could go on reproducing for the rest of their life.
    But i did not manage to find out whether there ARE males and females mts..or are they just one gender and they just mate with each other :eek:. Really clueless about how they reproduce.

Another thing. Let's say when mts are giving birth to live young, exactly where do the babies come out from? the tip of their shell o_O??

Do they just give birth randomly? or would it be like 1 every hour, or 2 every hour?

And about snails in general that lay eggs, where do the eggs come out from o.o?

Sorry for all the questions xD. Just really curious, been watching my mts hoping to see some babies coming out of the tip of the shell xD

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I'll be watching this thread...I'm as clueless as you are XDD

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

As I understand it, animals that reproduce asexually also have the ability to reproduce sexually. Otherwise, the genetic integrity would decay over time. So they sexually reproduce until they have solid genes, then they switch to reproducing asexually - popping out clones. They do this until they need to strengthen their genes, at which point the switch back to sexual reproduction. As I understand it, there is no male or female - each snail is both.

I've never seen them actually give birth. Or maybe I have, but didn't recognize it as such. I doubt they come from the tip of the shell - my best guess is that they come from the body of the snail.

4. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I have no idea about the mts either. I think I asked once and never got a concrete answer. I DO know that the mts in my tank breed like rabbits. I have seen little itty bitty babies all formed and everything crawling on my tank walls, every serveral weeks. I have never seen any of the adults having these itty bitty things but I have seen as many as about 10 at a time which leads me to believe that they have multiples.

I would like to know the answers to your questions as well ;)

5. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I think...they're um...what's the word...not bisexual...what is it...

EDIT: Hermaphroditic. I know at least some similar species are.

6. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

ah :p I see i'm not the only clueless one. I'm looking forward to more answers :D!

I'm actually trying to breed mts now for some dwarf puffers, so what i did was collect as many as i could, adults and babies, and now i'm housing them in a jar and i fed them plenty of algae wafers and perform water changes daily. 1 day after moving them to the jar, i noticed a few itty bitty babies xD. Soooo tiny, and i'm pretty sure i did not pick out those little baby ones, too small for me to see and pick out from my tank :p. So now what i did was, take out the 2 biggest mts and i've put them in a separate jar :p. AND now...i wait and see. :p

But i hope someone here can give more answers :D!

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Oh! Don't feed MTS to puffers. Their shells are too hard. You want pond or ramshorn snails. Otherwise the puffers can crack their teeth.

8. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Good luck! I know if you feed them, you will have plenty ( I don't feed mine and I have plenty ;) )
    I'm pretty sure water temps have something to do with them breeding as well.
    My betta tank is set around 81/82 degrees and they breed like crazy in there.
    My main tank which is much bigger AND the fish and other snails get fed more often is set at 78 degrees and there are very few ( I say few but around 20? ) in there. They don't seem to breed and I rarely if ever see any tiny babies....

9. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

I've read up alot about that too, But when i fed a few mts to my dwarf puffers, they don't eat the shell, they just suck out the snail from its shell o_O. Very amusing and barbaric xD.

10. Jaysee

Sounds like a good experiment you've set up.

My 30 hex has sat 3/4 full of water with no filter, no heater, no fish, no plants, no food, no water changes - no nothing - for a year now. I still have a healthy snail population. I don't think you need to do daily water changes, unless you want to.

11. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

i actually started out by getting about 10 free at the LFS, And now i think i probably have hundreds hiding in both my 15g and 4g. Infact i actually found more than 30 in my 4g, and i know there are still lots of them hiding in there >_<.

I can't imagine my 15g, But they're harder to find there because my gravel is pretty big and its not so fine. So they are all probably hiding underneath all the gravel

wow, how do they multiply without any food o.o.
    I do the water changes because i feel that leaving them in a jar like that might really cause the water quality to go bad, even if i am breeding them for my dwarf puffers to eat, i wouldnt want them to suffer in bad water right until the very end

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  12. Jaysee

Hhaha, with the gravel - if you have enough snails it will look like it's alive, with them all moving around in there :)

13. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I had a population of snails for my puffer...but then my loaches eated them all >.< Back to square one.

14. Jaysee

Ate ;)

There is stuff in the tank for them to eat. They will eat algae, too. They will also eat snails that have died. There are babies though, so apparently there's enough for them to reproduce.

15. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Eated. *pouts* I'll say it however I want to.

16. Jaysee

As long as you know :)

17. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

xD. Hey guys! i woke up this morning and found 5 baby snails in the separate jar i put the 2 biggest mts in. It's been 12 hours and i've ended up with 5, lets wait another 12 hours :p. I can't imagine how fast they're gonna breed o.o. In the first jar with all the mts inside, i bed they must be multiplying too. This is so cool :eek:!

18. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Haha XDD Yeah, I know. :)

19. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

guys :). 24 hours and 2 of my biggest mts has produced 9 babies :p. And in the other jar with all the other mts (different age and size) They produced about 15+ babies :D

20. Jaysee

Well?? Where do they come out of??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice