Questions About Moss Balls

1. L

Lc41 New Member Member

Hi so I was planning on getting some moss balls my betta but I'm not sure about a some things.Like if I need a light
    and if so what would be the best one for moss balls and do I need snails?How often should I roll them should it be every water change or something else?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

They are probably the simplest of thing to keep. The moss ball is actually a kind of algae. So you can keep it in regular stock light, give it minimal care and it’ll be fine. It’s a really slow grower so it won’t really help with water quality. Think of it more like a decoration. Why would you need snails? Try rolling them everytime you do a water change.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lc41 New Member Member

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I forget mine. For weeks. They don’t care. Just keep being moss balls. Of course cleaning them after I finally remember them is my punishment. If you get one, give it a good cleaning every now and then. Trust me.

5. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

That’s not true. Snails are beneficial for an aquarium but they aren’t needed for live plants.

6. Gypsy13

Right. In fact some species of snails will do massive damage to plants. Most go after the dead or dying parts but not all. Research before you buy.

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Moss malls are pretty much just dump and forget.

8. Gypsy13

Good. Cause that’s pretty much what mine get.

9. saalice729

saalice729 New Member Member

I agree with everyone, just toss it in and really that's it. Just be careful where you get yours from! Read the reviews. I got some once that I believe were fake. A green algae film formed over everything after I put them in. That's not supposed to happen!

10. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i would squeeze my moss balls over the sink once a week to get any nasty stuff out and just toss em back in the tank. you probably dont have to do this but once every few months.

11. Nightshadethebetta

Nightshadethebetta Valued Member Member

I just toss my moss ball in the tank and that’s it lol. When I purchased mine at my LPS, the lady told me to just squeeze out the water every couple of weeks, then put it back. Super easy! :)

12. Gypsy13

I do this when I remember. And I can tell when I’ve waited too long cause they smell. Bad.

13. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I break mine into a couple of pieces, generally 6, every few months and they grow back to size in a few more months, about 5-6. I even had a few get trapped under a rock for 3 months with no light and they did fine, but I don't know how. I don't recommend that. What size tank do you have, so we know what kind of snails to recommend? Before that, I see you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, please read on that a bit as snails are sensitive to nitrogenous waste and will die if they're put in an uncycled tank.