Questions about mollies

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I got 5 mollies on Friday and now have 4 plus a bunch of fry.(one got sucked into the sump and didn't make it:() My dad insisted that if I was going to use his 100 gallon I had to cycle it with mollies, so they are living through a cycle with TSS. on saturday I realized my dalmatian lyre tail molly (Hallie) was having fry. I caught as many as I could and they are now in a 1 gal fish bowl. So my questions are:
    1 Hallie is floating around the top. She will swim around when she wants, her fins are clamped, and she is eating. what could be wrong with her? stress?
    2 how do you tell if they are pregnant?
    3 I have noticed my black molly (Hendrik) is pecking my silver lyre tail (teeny) on the side.Is this normal? is this a sign of breeding?
    4 will they eat snails?
    5 will the remaining fry survive the cycle in the main tank?

Thank you all in advance!

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I highly suggest that you read the sexing livebearers sticky in the livebearer section on the forum... you're going to be getting dozens, possibly hundreds of fry, every month for the next year, and that's assuming you separate all of the fry and separate males from females in the tank. If you don't want babies for the rest of forever, either leave them in the tank with the adults and let them get eaten, or take all of the female mollies back to the store. As long as a male is present, the females will be pregnant. All the time.

As for your molly that just gave birth, give her a few days to get over herself. Birthing is stressful.

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks junebug. I will be leaving the rest of there fry in there to be eaten and most will be sucked up the sump anyway. The few that make it will likely be sold. I promised my sister I would keep one for her so once they mature, the others will be sold also. Hallie is starting to perk up though:) Also I am feeding them every other day because it is cycling, is this too much, or too little?

4. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi with the TSS, your molly fish should be fine. However, not really sure about the fry but it is my understanding that TSS if used correctly is pretty much an "instant" cycle in a couple of weeks. :)

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

You can feed them once a day, every day, just a small amount.

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks claireputput I figured thats what would happen:) junebug Thanks! The plecos will have more food too:)

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The fry will be fine with cycling. They will probably be eaten before it gets to be an issue, though lol.

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I think all but one have been eaten or sucked into the filter already. One likes to hide under the rock at the top of there "mountain".