Questions about introducing Frozen foods to my Aquarium!

1. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

I have never used anything but flakes, but I'm going to shell out a little of cash and see how my fish like some frozen brine shrimp and/or frozen blood worms.

I have A Betta, Dwarf Gourami, Neon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Corydora Cats, and a Rubbernose Plecostomus.

I feed them TetraColor and BettaMin flakes two or three times a day.

My questions are:

1. What would be best to supplement their diet with? Brine shrimp or blood worms (or both)?

2. How often should I supplement their diet with frozen food? Once a day, once a week, etc?

3. Should I feed them flakes at the same time as the frozen food?

4. Do I need to thaw it first?

5. How much should I give them? As much as they can eat in 2 minutes or so?

6. Is there a noticeable difference giving them a more varied diet? Better colors? Healthier and happier fish?

On a side note, I was thinking about buying some algae wafers for my Rubbernose Plecostomus? How often and how much should I give him? He's just a little guy right now. But I'm afraid he isn't getting enough food and they are more demanding than the common Plecostomus.

Thanks guys!

Ken

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Good job upgrading from just flakes.

1) Thawed frozen Blood worms are a much healthier diet for your ADF. Just make sure he gets some. The other fish will go bonkers for them. You might have to spot feed him.
    Your betta would do well with with protein in his diet.

2) Blood worms should be a staple diet for your ADF along with the occasional HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites

3) The flakes might keep the other fish busy enough so the ADF and Betta can get some blood worms.

4) Yes, you can shave a enough off and thaw it in tank water.

5) The ADF should be given enough until there's a little (not big) bulge in his belly.
    Your betta can have 4-5.

6) I've never fed my bettas or ADF's flakes so I can say if there's anything you would notice but on the insides, they'd be healthier. :)

Not sure about the pleco, I've never had one.