Questions about Ich and my tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fatbottomfish, Dec 16, 2012.

1. f

fatbottomfish New Member Member

Questions about Ich after treatment?
    When can I add carbon back into my filter?
    Why is my water staying cloudy?
    Why are my fish less active?
    Should I change all of my water and how soon after treatment?

Any other helpful info would be a BIG help! This is my first tank, and has been up and running for three weeks now, I added 2 bala sharks the next day, one was dead, and now today I lost a Blue Guiama.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

In order to answer your questions, we'll need to know more information.

What method did you use to treat it? How long has the treatment been?

How long has the tank been running? Is the tank cycled?

3. OP
    OP
    f

I used the Jungle Ich fizz tabs, it has been treated for 12 hours now, my tank has been running for 3 weeks now, I use the quick start in my tank when I set up my tank.

4. Jaysee

Okay, have you tested the water to make sure that the cycle is in fact intact?

I don't know anything about fizz tabs. I treat ich by raising the temp to 86 for 2 weeks - there are a ton of threads on ich and how to treat it, if you do a search. Ich is the most common ailment, and the easiest to treat.

If you have a heater, I would suggest doing a large water change, putting carbon in the filter and following the natural ich treatment.

5. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Agreed - I have never heard of the fizz tabs so I am not so sure about those. There are tons of medicines out there for ich but whatever you do go by the dosage to a "t". You can over dose very easily and the chemical can shock the fishes system and kill them. The natural way is what Jaysee said. Raise the temp. because ich can not live in the higher temp water. Keep your carbon in the system. Do at least 50% water change. Once the ich is gone slowly and I mean slowly decrease the temp back down to normal range. I hope this helps and good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you very much for your help. Yes I have a heater, after reading different ways of treating Ich, I agree sounds like the natural way is the safest way to go.

7. Jaysee

I finish the 2 week treatment, even if the spots are gone after a week. I experiment with a lot of things, but I have not experimented to see what the minimum time really is. It's just too easy to leave it for 2 weeks.

I treat all my new fish with heat while in quarantine. my tanks are unheated - when I start the treatment I just plug in the heater, which has been pre calibrated to the tank to be between 86-88. When it's over, I simply unplug the heater. I've never had an issue doing this. I know many people are more comfortable doing it slowly. I used to, but have long since found it unnecessary. I'm not saying that to get you to do what I do, but to let you know that you don't have to fret about raising or lowering the temp too fast if you are doing it in steps.

8. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you for your help,, I dont want to give up because I enjoy my tank, but dont enjoy seeing my fish sick. Being new to this, I guess it will take time to learn everything. I love the site, so many answers to all my questions.

9. Jaysee

Yes, the first year is the hardest. Particularly the fist 6 months. Once your tank is established, it's pretty smooth sailing. The key to keeping fish is understanding the nitrogen cycle. The bacteria is the lynchpin.

Are you sure you are cycled? have you tested the water?

10. OP
    OP
    f

yes we tested everything, and it was all good. My fish where all fine and water was nice and clear until we added the 2 bala sharks and 5 tiger barbs on Friday. Sat morning 1 shark was dead, and today Sunday 1 Blue Gourami was dead, and other fish are not moving about or very active. and my water is now cloudy?

11. Jaysee

Cloudy water can be indicative of a bacterial bloom in the water, which usually happens when a tank is not cycled. What are you using to test the water, and what were your actual readings?

12. OP
    OP
    f

ph 6.8
    total alkalinty 60
    total hardness 120
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    I used Mardel 5 in 1 test Strips.

13. Jaysee

0 nitrates says your tank is not cycled. If you had a test for ammonia you would test positive, I'm sure.

14. OP
    OP
    f

O' NO!!!! WHat do I need to do now?

15. Jaysee

Since you have fish, you'll need to do frequent water changes. It is recommended that you get a liquid test kit. Eventually the bacteria will get a foothold in your tank and will start processing the waste.

What happens is fish produce ammonia, and the ammonia eating bacteria consume it and produce nitrite as a byproduct. Then the nitrite eating bacteria consume the nitrite and produces nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are poisonous to your fish, so you will need to keep their concentration levels low in order to keep the fish healthy and happy. You may have to do large daily water changes to do this. There is a TON of information on how to cycle tanks on the forum, if you do a search. I would suggest reading through them and then coming back to ask any questions you have about it. Otherwise, we can tell you this that and the other thing, but if that is the first time you are hearing any of it, you aren't going to really understand what we are talking about.

16. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you so much for your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice