Questions about heaters: May help other users too Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey Guys.
    I'd like to ask a few questions about my heater. I have a juwel 600 (63Li) tank which came with a 50w heater standard. My questions are as follows:

1) Would a new Juwel heater fit the filtration system I have?
    2) Would a higher wattage increase heating speed or just allow higher temps?
    3) What watt would be recommended for my tank as it struggles to maintain 77F when my room is cold.

Thanks a lot!

2. outlaw Well Known Member Member

1) If you were to buy a new heater, you could choose anything you want given it is powerful enough. You can put as big a heater in as you can fit. As long as it is set to the correct temp it should work fine. I use a single 300W heater for our 46Gal. General guide for heater size

2) Yes, because it is able to get hotter then a smaller wattage heater. Unless someone has better knowledge on the second part. They are mostly around the same temps 20.5C (69F) - 34C (94F). Having a larger heater will also allow it to work less which means you will have a more stable temp. and a lower electric bill.

3)I would probably go with a 100W. Having the extra power will not hurt anything except a few extra bucks out of your pocket.

Hope this helps, and I am sure some other people will have some other advice to add.

Good Luck!

3. VenomGrass Member Member

Awesome advice mate. Still uncertain on whether or not a larger heater will increase our electric bill too much. I do live in a cold place. current temp outside is -3. from the UK.

4. outlaw Well Known Member Member

No Prob and glad to help where I can :D

Personally I don't think it will, and if it did, it wouldn't be much if even noticeable.

My reasoning:

50W having issues keeping temp:
    -It has to run more to keep a constant set temp. If you have it set for 79(as in your aqua info), and it can't even keep at 77, it is not turning off and running up your bill.

100W able to keep set temp:
    -It will be able to meet your 79 and turn off until it detects the temp drop, and turn on again for its short cycle until it hits 79 again. It will be off most of the time or at least run a lot less then the 50W.

This is just my 2cents worth. Hope it helps. I know our 300W doesn't turn on too often but we aren't as cold here as you guys yet. Our house is kept at 72 (night) and 65 during the day (nobody home).

Also, if your temps are having somewhat drastic swings in temp, you could be putting your fish through unnecessary stress. example: Think of taking a warm shower and you get that cold burst in there, then goes back to warm..repeat.. I know it has happened to me and its not cool. lol :D

5. VenomGrass Member Member

Haha I like the example man! Makes sense when you think about it I suppose. So would you recommend the 100W over 200W/300W etc.. I just want to maintain a good temp and not spend too much in the process thanks :) lol

6. outlaw Well Known Member Member

the 200/300 would definitely work but would also cost more. If you were considering or thinking of upgrading to a larger tank and not keeping this one setup, the larger heater would make sense.

100W should do the trick while not costing much. We were using a 150W I believe on our 20Gal and 50W on our 10Gal. The 20Gal was right next to a sliding door though where the winters weren't so nice.

I don't know if you plan to order or buy from LFS, but drsfostersmith have a 100W and 150W for the same price US$21.19. If you are really worried about the temp, you can get the largest heater. Just remember, they are also bigger and you may have to angle it. Even the 300W heater is only US$25.49.

Seeing as the 100W and 150W are the same price, I would choose the 150W. But if you are buying locally and don't have that convenience the 100W should do nicely. What are your in home temps like?

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

okay, let me first say i just had a medical procedure done with anesthesia, so thus may make no sense.]

i remember reading not to get a heater too big but don't remember why

i have had 2 brands, and both has their internal thermostats weird - i have to keep it set at 79, and have a steady tank temp of 76.7

so you may need to just turn it up higher?

if this made no sense or was nonresponsive, just ignore me until i'm back to normal.

8. VenomGrass Member Member

Temps in my home totally vary from hot to cold. So will the 100W fit into my juwel heater holder? inside the filter.

9. VenomGrass Member Member

Haha I hope your ok. Yeah it made sense. I will try putting the temp right up first. just curious if there is a 100W specially made to fit the juwel 600 filter case.:;cr

10. outlaw Well Known Member Member

If it is like the one HERE. I doubt it. If the 50W heater is in there, you can just put the new heater in the aquarium. This will give you 2 heaters allowing both of them to work less and kind of as a back-up. Do you have a picture of your aquarium setup? Depending on your aquascaping, you could put the heater on the back glass near the gravel so you can't see it. that is what we did anyways.

Good Luck Meenu. :D

11. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello :)
    I would strongly recommend TetraTec HT100 :) I use one of these and they are awesome :)

12. outlaw Well Known Member Member

I found this article: "The Right Aquarium Heater"

It may be helpful in your choice.

Most heaters now have the temp. written on them so you know what it should heat to. I would also have a thermometer in the tank if you don't already to double check it. (Don't know if your Juwel has the thermometer built in).

If you did choose a large heater, you could put into a bowl of water with a thermometer, set the temp you desire, and make sure it is accurate. Once verified, put into your tank.

13. VenomGrass Member Member

I dont think the 100w Juwel Heater will fit my heater holder inside the filter unit. I think mine might only go up to the 50w :(. Could anyone clarify this?

I can't find a website anywhere which specifies which heater etc are compatible with which tank. I would also like some reflectors to improve lighting in my tank as it could be brighter! haha

PS I read all the links, learnt lots too :)
    Ven