Questions about goldfish with dropsy

bizbeth612

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have four aquariums and help take care of my highschool's pond, and there is a goldfish in the pond that appears to have dropsy. She is the bloated white fish in the pictures attached. I have finally convinced my science teacher to let me try to help her, and yesterday I was able to set up a filtered/heated 10 gallon in the class (I know this is small, but she is not very big, and it is only a temporary setup). However, it is now the weekend and I must wait until Monday to put her in there. She has looked like this since at least mid-July.

I purchased some epsom salt and ordered KanaPlex that should be arriving within two or three days, but I am beginning to fear that I will not be able to save her. I came here to ask a few questions: what are her chances of surviving? I have heard of people attempting to drain the fluid, should I try to do this? If so, how would I do it? And is there anything else I could do for her in the meantime (once we've got her in the tank, of course)?

Thanks in advance. I am trying to remain hopeful but I cannot help but worry that she is not going to make it.

Attachments

• 20210910_142445.jpg
    20210910_142445.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210910_142359.jpg
    20210910_142359.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210910_142357.jpg
    20210910_142357.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 9

jtjgg

hi and welcome.

when looking from the top, does her scales stick out like a pinecone?

she could be egg bound, or have a tumor.

bizbeth612

hi and welcome.

when looking from the top, does her scales stick out like a pinecone?

she could be egg bound, or have a tumor.
Hey, thanks.

I can't tell if her scales look like a pinecone. Also, the swelling/bloating is not even on both sides. I don't know if that means anything though.

jtjgg

Hey, thanks.

Yes, it seems as if her scales do stick out like a pinecone. Also, the swelling/bloating is not even on both sides. I don't know if that means anything though.

if the scales are sticking out, try an aquarium salt bath if you haven't received the kanaplex. use the kanaplex asap. if she's still bloated, try a salt bath to draw out some of the fluids.

if the scales aren't sticking out, it could be eggbound. i've heard eggbound is asymetrical. try gently massaging her belly.

bizbeth612

if the scales are sticking out, try an aquarium salt bath if you haven't received the kanaplex. use the kanaplex asap. if she's still bloated, try a salt bath to draw out some of the fluids.

if the scales aren't sticking out, it could be eggbound. i've heard eggbound is asymetrical. try gently massaging her belly.
Okay, thank you so much. I won't be able to do this until Monday but I'm feeling a bit more hopeful. I appreciate your response!

bizbeth612

Update: we put her in the tank today and she is now doing worse. She's floating upside-down at the bottom of the tank but still breathing. Her scales are not sticking out, and we're beginning to think it's possibly SBD. I cooked some peas to give her tomorrow... I don't know if this little fishy will make it and I feel awful if she got hurt when we caught her from the pond. :(

20210914_145754.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies
Views
jinisjohn78
Replies
Views
paintbrushed
Replies