Questions about ghost shrimp

  • Thread starter

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 years
I will be setting up a 20 gallon long El Natural tank sometime this month and instead of keeping snails(not counting MTS) in the tank as a clean up crew, I have considered keeping ghost shrimp instead.

Do these shrimp eat dead or dying plant matter as well as fish wastes? I know they will eat uneaten fish food but I don't know about bits of dead leaves or poop.

Also, I heard that if you are allergic to shellfish, you will get a reaction from putting your hands in a tank that contains shrimp. Is this true? I'm allergic to shellfish so I don't know if I would get an allergic reaction to them if I keep them in my new tank.

x
 

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
32
Points
143
Experience
Just started
I'd say amanos are a better choice than ghosties. They eat algae and plant matter, and anything else they can rummage up.

I've never heard the shellfish allergy rumor you heard so I can't comment.

-Lisa
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
Red_Rose said:
Also, I heard that if you are allergic to shellfish, you will get a reaction from putting your hands in a tank that contains shrimp. Is this true? I'm allergic to shellfish so I don't know if I would get an allergic reaction to them if I keep them in my new tank.

x
I deal with allergies, but not to shellfish. If you're concerned, you could purchase a glove that would cover your entire arm, or possibly use a trash bag. Any time my hands are in the tank water, I wash with soap and water first to ensure there is nothing on me that could harm my tank. And, once I'm done, I again wash my hands/arms with soap and water. If I do not use soap after having my hands in the tank I always end up with a rash or hives.

Since you have a known shellfish allergy, my best advice would be to use caution. If you have only a few shellfish in the tank, it may be possible that you will not react. But, if your allergy is intense, you might still get a reaction.

Good luck with your new tank!
 
  • Thread starter

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 years
Thanks everyone!

I don't think my shellfish allergy is severe. The only way I knew about it was when I had gotten an allergy test done! I have never eaten shellfish so I can't say if that allergy to it is bad or not.

I might just stick with some small snails like red ramshorns instead.
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
Your welcome. Something else to consider. Most flake foods include brine shrimp. Look at what's included in the foods you feed your fish/inhabitants.

Once you get your new tank set up, please post a few pictures.
 
  • Thread starter

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 years
I'm going to have to check my fish food now to see if there is brine shrimp in it. That's something I never thought of looking for.

I'll definitely post pictures when the tank is all set up.
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,270
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
catsma_97504 said:
Any time my hands are in the tank water, I wash with soap and water first to ensure there is nothing on me that could harm my tank.
I think most people avoid this, because soap is really harmful for fish. To remove the possibility of a toxin, you are coating your hands in a known toxin, you know? I usually just do a soap-free scrub (if I remember). After I'm done with the tank, I always wash in hot, soapy water, but never before.
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
Meenu said:
I think most people avoid this, because soap is really harmful for fish. To remove the possibility of a toxin, you are coating your hands in a known toxin, you know? I usually just do a soap-free scrub (if I remember). After I'm done with the tank, I always wash in hot, soapy water, but never before.
You know, I never thought of that!! I have dogs, cats, rabbits, not to mention having my hands in dirt when out in the garden, and need to ensure there is nothing on my hands/arms when working on my tank.

I'll have to come up with something else to do before hand.
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,270
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
I'll start a thread asking for ideas.
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,061
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm allergic to shell fish but only when I eat it. (I no longer eat it as the next time could be fatal for me) Allergies affect people in different ways. Some may have a bad reaction to touching it while others may not. Some may be allergic to eating it and touching it and I've even read that some people can't be in the same room when it's cooking.

You may want to consider Aqua Gloves:



Ken
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,209
Reaction score
2,426
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
wolfnitehunter's question has been moved here:
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom