Questions about fish, shrimp, and snails?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 26, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Hello I was wondering if blue velvet shrimp and rabbit snails would be ok together, and also if there were any fish that could go with either of these? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I would think so, possibly a very small tetra? Ember maybe.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Err I meant rabbit snails, not mystery snails! I think the ember tetra doesnt fare well in the higher ph, isnt it a more delicate fish?

4. Plecomaker

I dont know, i know people that keep them at ph 7 with success.
    there are likly other options though. Tetra or barb type would be based on size of the tank also.
    cherry barbs might be ok, not sure, oto would be fine though.

5. OP
    OP
    H

I read somewhere ottos were the only thing 100% safe, but unsure of that at all... I may just buy a 10 gallong and stick with rabbit snails and shrimp and any other invert or whatever I can add and make it an invert tank.

(It also said anything that had any type of carnivorous diet could eat them)

6. Plecomaker

Any smallish pleco is prob safe, with a few carnivorous exceptions, like vampire plecs

Maybe. Khuli loaches

7. OP
    OP
    H

Actually.. I may try a pygmy cory, Blue velvet or dream, oto, and maybe a bamboo or singapore flower shrimp tank , and rabbit snails ... If I can find some good specimens of otos locally..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank? Ember tetras are fine with those inverts....and in a high pH.

9. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I keep embers in a PH of 7.6 and they do fine The temp is 76 degrees. Alison

10. OP
    OP
    H

40 gallon breeder

11. Plecomaker

Copycat, lol.

12. OP
    OP
    H

I'm kind of wanting to do a 3 species shrimp(Been looking at the cross chart and one of these will be the bamboo shrimp or vampire shrimp filter feeders) tank plus otos pygmy corys and maybe the tetras then. Not sure if a pleco is compatible with the otos? Or does this sound like too much of a stock? Lol

13. Plecomaker

Soundslike. Way too much, lol

actually otois a small pleco, by the way.

14. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

You could look into Celestial Pearl Danios. Very tiny fish. With any fish, some shrimp fry will be eaten. The more plants and safe hides you have, the better your shrimp fry suirvival rate will be.

15. OP
    OP
    H

A balance would be decent, that way they wont overpopulate the tank as well.. dont need 1000 shrimp lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice