75 Gallon Tank Questions about feeding guppies to cichlid

Adrena

I have a 75 gallon with a rather large (about 12 in) Oscar fish named Samson. He came to me in a 50 gallon I purchased for my Pacu from FB marketplace (I was only expecting to purchase the tank). He was sitting in this half filled tank with dirty water, and had hole in the head. The guy I got him from said he was just going to throw Samson in a lake. So I took him and have done the best I can to nurse him back to health. I know hole in the head never goes away for good, so we maintain as best as possible.

Fast forward a year, Samson now lives in a 75 gallon tank. I also have 4 other tanks (not by choice). A 50 gallon with 2 medium pacu (6 inch my fiance purchased before he and I got together), a 29 gallon bow front with male guppies (among other non-relevent community members), a 30 gallon and 10 gallon with female guppies. We started with 6 guppies and I now have so many that I have been donating them to the local pet store due to overcrowding in the tanks.

I began feeding guppies to Samson, he would eat them in the beginning as a snack on occasion, last time I added the gups, he didn't eat them. I just left them in his tank thinking he would eventually would. Well, now those Samson guppies have had fry and there are a bunch in the Samson tank.

I have just added a small Green Terror ( approximately 2.5 in) to the 10 gallon for the time being, with the intention of moving him to the 50 gal once I re-home the Pacu.

The Green Terror loves to eat the guppy fry, and I have been feeding them to him a couple of times a week from the 30 gallon guppy tank. I have been thinking about possibly feeding the fry in the Samson tank to the Green Terror, but have not for fear of possibly infecting him with hole in the head as well. My question is, can guppies transfer this to another fish who ingests them? If I were to feed the Green Terror the guppies from the Samson tank, could he possibly also get hole in the head?

Ghelfaire

I believe HITH is only caused by poor water conditions and isn't contagious.
Do any of the guppies have it?

MacZ

I believe HITH is only caused by poor water conditions and isn't contagious.

Sorry, but it's caused by Hexamita, a protozoan intestinal parasite and very much contagious. Very soft water, poor in minerals can make it worse, but that's it.

Ghelfaire

Sorry, but it's caused by Hexamita, a protozoan intestinal parasite and very much contagious. Very soft water, poor in minerals can make it worse, but that's it.
Thanks for the info

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adrena
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Ryan921
Replies