Questions about dwarf gouramis

Mii

Questions about dwarf gouramis

So I have a pair (not a breeding pair, they just seem to be interested in playing with each other and I have no intention to breed them) of honey gouramis in a 20 gallon and was wondering if a female dwarf gourami would do ok with them (since the females are less aggressive than the makes and I don't want my more peaceful honey gouramis getting bullied). My two honey gouramis are pretty social with each other, and I know dwarf gouramis are social too, was wondering if since they're the same genus the dwarf gourami would socialize with the honeys or would it be lonely? I know the honey gouramis do a lot better when you have a pair or group and have heard the same thing about dwarf gourami

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum.

I think you may have gotten some bad information about dwarf gouramis being social. I haven't kept them, but from reading dozens of posts here it seems that if you have multiple males in a tank they'll almost always fight until one is left alive. Also, I don't know where you are, but in the US and Canada females are very difficult to find. They're not colorful at all and are rarely seen in stores.

I'd suggest getting more honey gouramis. Almost everything I've seen says they're better in groups.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

As in case of most fish social interaction takes mainly place between fish of the same species. of course especially mating. I wouldn't keep a single female of any species. I am not afraid she would harm the honeys btw.

Upvote 0

Mii

Welcome to the forum.

I think you may have gotten some bad information about dwarf gouramis being social. I haven't kept them, but from reading dozens of posts here it seems that if you have multiple males in a tank they'll almost always fight until one is left alive. Also, I don't know where you are, but in the US and Canada females are very difficult to find. They're not colorful at all and are rarely seen in stores.

I'd suggest getting more honey gouramis. Almost everything I've seen says they're better in groups.
My fish store has female dwarf gouramis. That's why I was asking. Also a lot of people say that dwarf gouramis are best kept in groups, which makes sense since they're in the same genus as the honey gourami and my honey gouramis socialize and play with each other a lot. Most people recommend keeping dwarf gouramis with 2-3 females for one male. I want to know, does it work if I need one female dwarf gourami with honeys since they're less aggressive, because they are often kept in groups and seem to do best that way. Just want to know if the dwarf gourami would see the honeys as part of it's "groups" or no since they're different species in the same genus.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

My fish store has female dwarf gouramis. That's why I was asking. Also a lot of people say that dwarf gouramis are best kept in groups, which makes sense since they're in the same genus as the honey gourami and my honey gouramis socialize and play with each other a lot. Most people recommend keeping dwarf gouramis with 2-3 females for one male. I want to know, does it work if I need one female dwarf gourami with honeys since they're less aggressive, because they are often kept in groups and seem to do best that way. Just want to know if the dwarf gourami would see the honeys as part of it's "groups" or no since they're different species in the same genus.

I think it's best not to mix gourami species in the same tank, but I don't know for sure. jinjerJOSH22 or someone else might.

Upvote 0

Mii

I think it's best not to mix gourami species in the same tank, but I don't know for sure. jinjerJOSH22 or someone else might.
Thanks. Yeah from what I've heard I'll probably just get a separate tank for dwarf gouramis.

Upvote 0

Vivo

If your two gouramis play nice nice together, I'm not sure if I disrupt it. But, I've been having problems with aggression in my tank so I'm biased. Let us know.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

If your two gouramis play nice nice together, I'm not sure if I disrupt it. But, I've been having problems with aggression in my tank so I'm biased. Let us know.
OP has two honeys.

Upvote 0

FinalFins

If the tank was big enough I would get more honeys and another small group of female dwarf gouramis. With enough cover and plants it could work

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, I would typically avoid mixing Dwarf Gourami with Honeys. I’ve done it in the past and it was fine but Dwarf females aren’t exactly peaceful either. I don’t think either will benefit from having a different species around.
My biggest issue with them is their general health.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
MrFishy222
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies