questions about cycling my tank

1. shelley92 Initiate Member

So my fish died Monday and Tuesday I cleaned the whole tank out, all new water, washed the gravel. I went to petsmart that night and the lady there gave me 2feeder fish and told me to add bateria once a week and feed them twice a day and to not change the water for 3weeks to get the nitrogen cycle going again,
    do you think I should also turn off the filter system?
    and is three weeks too long, or short?
    all answers and imput is appriciated.

2. Beeker Well Known Member Member

What bacteria are you adding? What caused your previous fish to die?

3. shelley92 Initiate Member

just a suplement the pet store gave me to get the nitartes going again, Top Fin brand (bottle doesnt say much else) and I foolishly was moving my tank, just an inch or so out from the wall and didnt take my fish out, I guess it hit the side of the tank and it just stopped swimming and was dead the next day.
    a mistake I guarentee I wont be making again

4. Beeker Well Known Member Member

I have only done fishless cycles, so I cannot say much for or against the brand you are using. I can only say that you will definitely need to keep your filter running, and you will definitely have to change the water at least weekly. You might want to consider taking the fish back to the store and using pure ammonia to start the cycle instead of putting those poor fish through such a painful experience. Not only that, but two goldfish cannot live very long in a 10 gallon tank. One goldfish requires at least 20 gallons of water. You will either have to bring the fish back anyway, or start cycling a 30 gallon tank for those goldfish.
    What test kit are you using to test your levels to follow your cycle?

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

shelley, your pet store gave you awful advice! goldfish get huge - what are you supposed to do after you cycle with them, flush them? :mad: i'm not cross with you, just your store.

i agree with beeker, take them back to the store. research how to do a fishless cycle, decide what you want your final stock to be while you are doing the fishless cycle. it;ll give you time to research compatibility and size, and then you can slowly add your fish.

6. Beeker Well Known Member Member

Meenu is right.
    Be careful. Do not take advise from salesmen. They are only looking to make money. They give you terrible advise, knowing full well that you will be back looking for help because "you must have done something wrong." and then they will tell you about more products you need to buy.
    Your best bet is to do your research here first. The people on the forum have no ulterior money-making motives. We just want you and your fish to be happy and healthy. No matter how sincere and/or knowledgeable the person at the store sounds, don't do anything until you check with the people on the forum first. Impulse buys and/or trusting the sales-people is/are the worst things you could do.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

welcome to FishLore Shelley :) We have members of all ages and experience levels from all over the world so don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Goldfish(even feeder fish) are cool water fish but they still need a heater to keep the water temps from fluctuating. They are also huge waste producers and need 20g for the first goldfish and 10g for each additional goldfish. Your filter is where a large part of the beneficial bacteria grows(when you rinse the filter media rinse it in used tank water). So you see that your LFS gave you some really wrong advice.
    The only bacteria in a "bottle" that is the right type of bacteria to instantly cycle your tank Is Tetra Safe Start formerly know as BioSpira.
    Here's an article one of our members wrote that is just full of good information. https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/aug08/aquarium-startup.htm
    If you are determined to cycle with the fish you will need to do water changes and substrate vacuums to keep the ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates at a tolerable level. This will slow the cycle down a bit but is only humane for the fish.
    Do you have a test kit? If not Aquarium Pharmaceutical master freshwater kit is excellent, accurate and most often recommended by our members.
    Don't beat your self up and know that we've all probably been where your at right now at one time or another so chin up :)
    Keep us posted as to how your doing and let us know if you need anything.
    carol