Questions About Co2 40 Gallon Tank

1. N

NeWcS Valued Member Member

The first time I tried setting up a planted tank I failed. :;fru So I want to try again. Im going to make a DIY co2 system using a 2L bottle and the sugar/yeast method.

Some questions I have.

The way im setting my plants up are most of the plants are going to be to one side of the tank(42gal long tank). Does the co2 output need to be close to the plants or does it really matter?

Also, Can I set the output tube from the co2 just under the intake on my HOB filter to help diffuse the co2 into the water? So the co2 bubbles come out the tube and into the intake and through the filter?

-Jay

2. Regal

Regal Well Known Member Member

You should put the output of your co2 on the side with the plants. It doesn't seem like it would make a difference but it does. I say that from experience, I have used diy on several tanks and have had the same type of plant on different sides and the one closest to the co2 grow taller.

Running the bubbles into the intake of a HOB filter is probably not a good idea because you will lose a lot of your co2 as the water falls back into the tank. If it's a canister type HOB like a Magnum then it would work.

You will lose co2 through surface agitation so if you run an air pump I would turn that off and try to keep the tank really full so the HOB creates as little surface agitation as possible.

You’ll have fun watching your plants grow better with the co2. Mostly difference will be bigger leaves. Some plants don’t seem like the same plant with co2. My swords grow leaves twice as tall as without co2 and my Red Ludwiga’s leaves go from being dime size to half dollar size.

Edit: One more thing, you should watch your ph because co2, even diy, can cause it to drop.

3. dvc_r

dvc_r Well Known Member Member

Suemvd has had the same experiences as me. I agree with everything she says. I have seven DIY bottles (although 2 are "Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System"). It would be a good idea to run CO2 into the intake only if you had a canister filter because the gases would have a long time to diffuse into the water as it goes through all the chambers of the filter and no where to escape unlike an HOB filter. I also find my the plants near the CO2 grow larger and faster. And most important I agree with monitoring the ph levels. The only thing I can add is one of the reasons for this is because DIY runs 24/7 and plants do not use co2 without lighting. This is the reason for ph drops. So when monitoring, do it first thing in the morning. Also google a ph/KH/co2 chart so you know where you want your tank to be for best plant growth.

PROPS to suemvb!! excellent advise.

Good luck! When getting into plants, it's like a whole new hobby! And when you see how beautiful your tanks become you'll have the greatest feeling of accomplishment!

4. OP
    OP
    N

Hearing it will drop my ph is an added bonus seeing how out of the tap my ph is 8 and with chems i still can only get it to like 7.7 on a good day.
    Thanks for the info. Ill be plant shopping tomorrow. Any suggestions on tall broad leaf type plants?
    -Jay

5. dvc_r

Suggestions: let me think...:rolleyes:

If you have low light and want something easy and slow growing you can always go with Java Ferns.

...easy and tall I can suggest Amazon swords:

I have had great success with Temple:

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    N

What do I do when the plants start to come out of the water at the top of the tank???
    And tricks?

-Jay

7. dvc_r

I trim my plants once every week or so. I usually throw out most my trimming unless I trim off a large/long piece, then I will replant it in either the same tank or another.