Questions About Cleaning Gravel

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

When cleaning gravel, do I just put it in a bucket and then add water, agitate the gravel, empty the water and do it all again?

Also, the water is a little cloudy when I was cleaning my gravel with the method above, should I keep cleaning? Or is it just minerals in the water supply?

2. ChaoryValued MemberMember

Do you mean new gravel or gravel that has been in your tank? If it's been in your tank, just use a gravel vac. If new gravel, then use a bucket, dump some gravel in, then add water, and rinse with your hand, then repeat.

3. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I clean sand that way. Gravel I just put a handful at a time in a vegetable strainer and give it a good rinse in the sink.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

No, it is new gravel. Also one more question, when I first add the water to the gravel, there is foaming for like 2 seconds, then it goes away, is that normal?

5. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCalWell Known MemberMember

I put several pounds into a bucket, then put a hose in it on full blast. The gravel swirls around and washes itself!

6. ChaoryValued MemberMember

Yes, it is normal. Just rinse it and dump the water, then repeat until you are satisfied.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice