Questions About Buying New Bigger Tank

Jeffsglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello, just found out Walmart has a web site & app. U can have items shipped to store located near you. Items cheaper than in store & most free delivery! You might want to give it a try. Hope this helps!
Hello, and thank you so very much! I checked out Walmart.com and found a 55 gallon stand and starter kit aquarium. Stand is $97.00 and aquarium is $179.00 Wow what a great deal. I really want to thank you. I purchased both and they will deliver next wednesday to my house. I took out the 4 yr warranty for an additional $26.00 because I read the reviews and they were saying that the lights LED go out. And also some filters pumps were defective. I don't want any problems. LOL. Thanks again

I've bought all my tanks used (15-30 or so, up to 55g) and I won't buy your tank if you're not willing to fill it up and show me there's no leaks. I think that's fair when shopping secondhand. It's also super, super easy, cheap and fairly quick to cut out the seal and reseal it if you feel so inclined.

I can't stomach the thought of what some of y'all pay for setups. My 55g tank cost me $35 with hoods, lights, heater and a decent filter - I got it from an older couple who had had it running since the mid 90s and it's still going strong. Nice acrylic tanks can be had for awesome prices secondhand as well, and are much less likely to spring a leak with age.
Thanks for your comments. I don't want to take any chances with my basement flooding. As it is finished and carpeted. I ended up buying a 55 gallon starter kit from Walmart.com for $179.00 and a stand for $97.00 brand new. I have a warranty for the kit for additional $26.00. NO Worries you know? I will try and find cheaper new parts for it. Thanks again

I'd look at the cost of individual items and see if you can get something better. Right now they have Fluval 40 gallon filters on sale for 29.99 (usually $80), so getting a tank and then that kind of filter might be cheaper.
As for the size, I'd go with the 29. Trust me, you are going to want more than you think you do right now. I have the 20g and am going to upgrade to the 38g bowfront soon. I was able to successfully grow my plants in the 20 with standard lighting, but IDK about the taller 29g.
Im going with a 55 gallon starter kit and stand for under $300.00

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s a huge waste of your money. Petco has dollar per gallon sales regularly for tanks up to 55 gallons.

55 bucks, a 40 gallon filter, a 5 dollar bag of pool filter sand. Spend about 100 bucks for a tank 3 times the size.

Never buy a starter kit in any hobby, it’s always a complete rip off.
I disagree that kits are always a rip off. Maybe a 29 gallon kit but a 3, 5, or 6 gallon kit aren’t a rip off whatsoever. Obviously that’s not what you’re going for but just thought I would make that clear. The dollar per gallon sale right now isn’t for 55g. It’s half off but getting a 29g would be smart. You could get the same sand, you could make your own sponge filter for $5-10 and would be way cheaper

Drew31

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I called a Petco ~1hr from me and 55g were quoted as being ~$55 with the current sale. Debating on the drive myself.

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s a huge waste of your money. Petco has dollar per gallon sales regularly for tanks up to 55 gallons.

55 bucks, a 40 gallon filter, a 5 dollar bag of pool filter sand. Spend about 100 bucks for a tank 3 times the size.

Oh shoot! I new nothing about fish and in January bought a starter kit 38 gallon marine land from petsmart. I bought it boxing day for half price. I hope it holds out, now I am feeling nervous about my tank!

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think marineland tanks are okay. It's all the other equipment that makes the kits overpriced and not worth it.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I will go with the sponge filter. Two will probably do the trick. Thanks
Remember sponge filters are only biological media and doesn't do anything in terms of mechanical...The difference between a biological and mechanical?

Biological-It supports the system of the tank. Sponges, bio rings, lava rocks...whatever holds bacterial is biological.

Mechanical-Items such as filter floss (Poly fil/wool) clean out the fine particles of the tank such as dust and left over foods. It gets sucked up by the filter (not a sponge filter) and collects the dust as it travels up the system before it comes back out through the outtake. Carbon is also a mechanical as well.

So keep in mind, having a sponge filter will work but also keep in mind that if your tank is dusty a sponge filter won't clean up and give you that crystal clear water.

That sounds great, there are a ton of videos on the web on how to make them it’s super quick and easy.
The DIY sponge filters are great but that's if you have a ton of tanks. The cost to get the materials, PVC and tile costs about a buck a piece...so lets say the OP buys $2 a piece...so that's $4.00...then to buy the silicone that the OP will likely only use once costs $8.00...that's already $12.00 spent on two sponges. Plus the labor to build it...the OP could buy the sponge filter online or at a store for about $6-$8? So $12-$16? All the work to save $4?

I get it's fun but at the same time is it feasible?

trainandfishguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh shoot! I new nothing about fish and in January bought a starter kit 38 gallon marine land from petsmart. I bought it boxing day for half price. I hope it holds out, now I am feeling nervous about my tank!
Don't be. I have had Marineland aquariums and they are good. I think what I meant to say is that they are good for starting out. Eventually, alot of us get so into the hobby and learn more that we realize that we need or want to upgrade to better set ups. For example. I started with a 10 gallon kit tank. The tank in itself has not had any issues. Evenetually though, I learned that my heater was not up to the job. I had to replace it. Later, the filter was not doing to good a job. I replaced it as well and overfiltered my tank. Think this is the issue with most but if you don't overstock your tank, keep up with water changes and are happy with your setup, you are more than fine. Enjoy!

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Remember sponge filters are only biological media and doesn't do anything in terms of mechanical...The difference between a biological and mechanical?

Biological-It supports the system of the tank. Sponges, bio rings, lava rocks...whatever holds bacterial is biological.

Mechanical-Items such as filter floss (Poly fil/wool) clean out the fine particles of the tank such as dust and left over foods. It gets sucked up by the filter (not a sponge filter) and collects the dust as it travels up the system before it comes back out through the outtake. Carbon is also a mechanical as well.

So keep in mind, having a sponge filter will work but also keep in mind that if your tank is dusty a sponge filter won't clean up and give you that crystal clear water.

The DIY sponge filters are great but that's if you have a ton of tanks. The cost to get the materials, PVC and tile costs about a buck a piece...so lets say the OP buys $2 a piece...so that's $4.00...then to buy the silicone that the OP will likely only use once costs $8.00...that's already $12.00 spent on two sponges. Plus the labor to build it...the OP could buy the sponge filter online or at a store for about $6-$8? So $12-$16? All the work to save $4?

I get it's fun but at the same time is it feasible?
It’s not only for the purposes of cost. Sponge filters have many great benefits

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s not only for the purposes of cost. Sponge filters have many great benefits
I don't doubt they have great benefits. I have a sponge filter in sitting in the corner of my 90g for QT purposes only. I just don't think building sponge filters are feasible for one tank vs. just buying it.

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't doubt they have great benefits. I have a sponge filter in sitting in the corner of my 90g for QT purposes only. I just don't think building sponge filters are feasible for one tank vs. just buying it.
not every place sells them, my guy..

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can build it to include mechanical parts of filtration and other bits you may want to add (such as extra media).

eukendywa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought a starter kit - 55L - and after adding up the parts separately I found I got a good deal comparing those two options. I would have spent another $150 to buy the parts separately in that store. I'm not comparing it to online purchases. my two cents...

Jeffsglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I ended up getting the 55 gallon starter kit. And also bought a sponge filter. Which I will add to the two mechanical filters it comes with. I can use the sponge filter or one of the media from the mechanical filters for QT if needed. I will see if any other parts are needed as I go along. Thanks for all your comments and ideas. I really appreciate it. And I am learning a lot.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom