Questions About Buying New Bigger Tank

Niaa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd look at the cost of individual items and see if you can get something better. Right now they have Fluval 40 gallon filters on sale for 29.99 (usually $80), so getting a tank and then that kind of filter might be cheaper.
As for the size, I'd go with the 29. Trust me, you are going to want more than you think you do right now. I have the 20g and am going to upgrade to the 38g bowfront soon. I was able to successfully grow my plants in the 20 with standard lighting, but IDK about the taller 29g.

TheShrimpBrothers

Reaction score
Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale currently up to 29 gallon and then 50% off larger sizes. Tank only. But I'm not a big fan of the kits I like to customize my set up. But as mentioned above you can find some amazing deals on used tanks that size. You could pay $50 for a 55 gallon on Craigslist.

Not a huge difference between 55 & 60 really. Less than 10% larger. But if price isn't an issue then I agree with Mcasella and Ernest Sacco, bigger is better! Just be careful you don't end up with a 150 gallon with that way of thinking...

Jeffsglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I checked Walmart online and found a nice 55 gallon aquarium stand that’s wood. That you can either have cherry look or black. It’s only $97.00. WOW!!!!! What a great buy. The reviews are great also. I’m getting it! This is the 1st step towards my 55 gallon aquarium build. But I have to check with the wife. But she will be fine.

They also have a 55 gallon aquarium starter kit. It costs $179.00 or so. But I have heard you all telling me to build piece by piece. I am excited to find this. Thanks to someone commenting on my post earlier. Thank you so much. I want to go with a canister filter. I’m thinking 2.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The starter kit equipment is usually far from great. I’ve got the stand you found for my 29 gallon. It’s gorgeous and holds up great!

TJG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was at Petco and they are having their dollar a gallon sale for tanks up to 75

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was at Petco and they are having their dollar a gallon sale for tanks up to 75
I think mine only does 10 and 20gs with the $1 per gallon sale. And their 40gb and 55g are half off, but I don't remember how much those tanks cost at msrp.

trainandfishguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I found that PetSmart has kits for sale. And since the 60 gallon I was thinking about might be too much for me. I am considering either the 20 or 29 gallon kits from PetSmart. I like the idea of upgrading so my glowfish will be able to have schools. I could have 5-7 of each kind. Tiger barb and Zebra danios. The 20 gallon is 129.00 but for 40 dollars more. The 29 gallon is $169.00. I could use most of my decor and replace the substrate. This is perfectly economical for me. And I found Petco has metal stands for $59.00. Perfect
You still will need a stand and chances are the filter and heater would probably be adequate but not the best option. i too considered the kit but instead spent a bit more, got a stand, a great heater and filter. In the long run, you will probably save money going this route.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the only tank kit i ever bought was my 75 gallon tank. It was more lfs setup then manufacturer setup. Lol. Great setup quality wise, budget freindly not so much. It ever had a wood topper to hide the lights.

Bigfella

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You still will need a stand and chances are the filter and heater would probably be adequate but not the best option. i too considered the kit but instead spent a bit more, got a stand, a great heater and filter. In the long run, you will probably save money going this route.
You could build a stand for a 29 gallon for about 20-30 dollars. Look on YouTube for instructions, king of diy had a few videos on it. If I could do it over I would save money on the stand, customize it and it will hold way more than you need honestly.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OP - I was just at Persmart & saw a 60 gal set for $249 & thought of this thread. I found the tank weirdly shaped - Super tall & not very deep front to back. I would check out the footprint of the tank you are thinking about. The tank (as it was on the stand) would have been too tall for me to easily reach the bottom of... I am an above average height woman. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Now off to glue my new Anubis & java fern onto decorations for my tank!

Jeffsglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think mine only does 10 and 20gs with the $1 per gallon sale. And their 40gb and 55g are half off, but I don't remember how much those tanks cost at msrp.
Ok, I have my wife talked into buying the stand and the starter kit for 55 gallon tank. I have been trying to upgrade so my fish can school. I know this is not ideal for everyone. But it’s ideal for me. I can replace filter first as needed. I am excited to be upgrading. My kids are 6 and 7 yrs old. So they will be happy to help Daddy transfer their fish to the new set up. I will buy it tonight and set up soon. I am going to price individual components but this is ideal for me. Since I am still a novice.

Thanks guys, I have found s 55 gallon stand for $95.00 and a 55 gallon starter kit for $179.00 at Walmart.com. I am going with this setup. It’s new. And a economical price. I am excited and can upgrade later on.

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys, I have found s 55 gallon stand for $95.00 and a 55 gallon starter kit for $179.00 at Walmart.com. I am going with this setup. It’s new. And a economical price. I am excited and can upgrade later on.
What a nice sized tank!! Have fun setting it up!!

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I guess people find value in convenience. It's just that you mentioned prices and getting a deal etc. The starter kit, it only includes 3 things... A tank, hood, filter correct?

If the items are valued separately (taking quality into consideration too) does it still add up like a deal? $60 for each item for example? Honestly am curious cause I have no idea the average cost for a new hood and filter on that size tank.

Jeffsglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes this kit comes with everything to get started. Submersible Hester hood with lights black and white. Two HOB filters also. The reviews are very good. Going back to 2008.

Yes this kit comes with everything to get started. Submersible Hester hood with lights black and white. Two HOB filters also. The reviews are very good. Going back to 2008.
Submersible heater

Hi,

I don't see that my Petco has a sale. And if I look at Petco online they don't carry 55 gallon tanks. I looked at walmart.com and the price for just a 55 gallon tank is several hundred dollars more. I don't want to keep everything that comes with the kit. But think $179.00 is a good price for just getting the aquarium that I can build onto. I can buy seperate components after that. How much do 55 gallon tanks cost when petco has the sale? thanks

Hi, I am checking online websites and cannot find anything close to the price that walmart.com has for their 55 gallon kit for $179.00. I can just use the tank and buy/personalize the rest. Can petco compete with this price? and I don't know about buying used. I have a finished basement and cannot risk it leaking.

It’s a huge waste of your money. Petco has dollar per gallon sales regularly for tanks up to 55 gallons.

55 bucks, a 40 gallon filter, a 5 dollar bag of pool filter sand. Spend about 100 bucks for a tank 3 times the size.

Never buy a starter kit in any hobby, it’s always a complete rip off.
Yes, I agree I have been looking at 55 gallons. I just bought online at walmart.com a 55 gallon stand. I am looking at the walmart.com 55 gallon starter aquarium kit . I could use just the tank and buy everything else seperately. I don't know how much a 55 gallon on sale at petco is?

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've bought all my tanks used (15-30 or so, up to 55g) and I won't buy your tank if you're not willing to fill it up and show me there's no leaks. I think that's fair when shopping secondhand. It's also super, super easy, cheap and fairly quick to cut out the seal and reseal it if you feel so inclined.

I can't stomach the thought of what some of y'all pay for setups. My 55g tank cost me $35 with hoods, lights, heater and a decent filter - I got it from an older couple who had had it running since the mid 90s and it's still going strong. Nice acrylic tanks can be had for awesome prices secondhand as well, and are much less likely to spring a leak with age.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom