Questions About Buying New Bigger Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Jeffsglo, Apr 13, 2018.

1. J

Jeffsglo Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering your opinions on pros and cons of buying a marine land 60 gallon tank with glass hood from PetSmart? After looking at the 55 gallon clear for life that costs $599.00. I was looking at their 60 gallon marine land for $299.00. I read some reviews that stated people had leaky tanks. I know you will have bad ones in any batch. But I also know to test the tank full of water outside first. If there is a leak. I can exchange it for a new one. I think I can talk my wife into the lower cost one. And my kids have glow fish in 2 different ten gallons. I would like to slowly buy what I need to set up this 60 gallon. And stock with 30-40 glow fish. Along with the three I have in ten gallon tanks. One ten gallon has one tiger barb. And the other two Zebra danios. They also sell a really nice stand for a reasonable price. I have been reading about canister filtration. And would like to do that. My basement is fully remodeled and I don’t want a flood. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I can wait for the half price sale. But do not know when PetSmart has it. Please advise

Hello,

I found that PetSmart has kits for sale. And since the 60 gallon I was thinking about might be too much for me. I am considering either the 20 or 29 gallon kits from PetSmart. I like the idea of upgrading so my glowfish will be able to have schools. I could have 5-7 of each kind. Tiger barb and Zebra danios. The 20 gallon is 129.00 but for 40 dollars more. The 29 gallon is $169.00. I could use most of my decor and replace the substrate. This is perfectly economical for me. And I found Petco has metal stands for $59.00. Perfect

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It’s a huge waste of your money. Petco has dollar per gallon sales regularly for tanks up to 55 gallons.

55 bucks, a 40 gallon filter, a 5 dollar bag of pool filter sand. Spend about 100 bucks for a tank 3 times the size.

Never buy a starter kit in any hobby, it’s always a complete rip off.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you for your thoughts. I have two 10 gallon starter kits right now. And thought they were a great buy around Christmas time. I think I paid $59.00 for the kit. I like the kit idea. Because then I could transfer my fish to s bigger tank. But understand what you are saying. I am still researching. Is there a discount website for filters pumps hoods lights heaters etc? This kit has all of this. I’ve been trying to help my fish for a while but have been learning. I might wait until Black Friday or Christmas time. Although my tank problem is real. I was thinking problem solved. But will look on eBay and Craig’s list for used tanks. I’m just rambling now.

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate it. And will heed the warning. Garage sales are good also.

4. S

Scott T New Member Member

I went with a 20 gallon tall starter kit and I feel I quickly ran out of room for what I would like to do with plants and having more fish. If I could start over I would have gone with the bigger option from the start.

I've also noticed that most used aquariums in my area appear to be way over priced, people are trying to sell them for more than you can go get a new one for at petco, sometimes even when not on sale. Having a few extra things along with it may be nice but I feel I'd rather get a new light and filter that I want. Some of the used ones listed for sale were even more expensive than the starter kits even.

5. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

Big Al's Pets , Kens Fish, Dr Foster and Smith, Amazon. These are all good online sources for aquarium equipment! I commend you for thinking about upgrading your tanks to do proper schools. :). Take your time and keep asking questions and doing your research! I have not kept tiger barbs but I have heard that they do better in larger schools (not sure how many; I'll read up on that) because in a larger school aggression between them is dispersed so there is less fighting.

The advantage of buying your equipment separately is you can get exactly what you want. AquaClear hob filters work well, are very quiet, and have a lot of space for extra filter media. You want 8 to 10 x your tank volume of filtration per hour for a hob filter. So for a 29 gallon tank you want around 290 or 300 gallons per hour (gph) of filtration. Kits may come with cheap, undersized filters. Just something to think about.

A 20 long could be a tank to consider as well. This gives the fish more horizontal swimming space.

I'm not saying don't get a kit; they can be an option. Just think about your options!

6. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

Maybe a site for 2nd hand? I brought a 57 litre starter for £160 when I started and just over a month or 2 ago I brought a 177 litre for £100 then just £50 for a new filter so literally 3 times bigger for cheaper

7. OP
    OP
    J

Yes, thanks! I am wanting to go bigger. But I want to make an educated decision this time.

8. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

Go for a 29, the same length of a 20 long, but more gallons (higher and wider I think). Also, the kits are a waste, you’ll need to replace the lights if you want plants, and therefore have to replace the lid. The filters included are not very good and aren’t properly sized, so you’ll need to replace that too. You see what I mean? I’d just buy a tank on it’s own. I’ve heard petco has cheap tanks on their $1/gallon sale, I’ve never been able to get my tank then because I’m in Canada, but I digress. I suggest aquaclear filters for your 29! I love them.

9. Bigfella

Bigfella Valued Member Member

I would go for the 29, it'll give you more options in the future than the 20.

10. Michael.j.gomez

Michael.j.gomez Valued Member Member

Hello, just found out Walmart has a web site & app. U can have items shipped to store located near you. Items cheaper than in store & most free delivery! You might want to give it a try. Hope this helps!

11. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

You can find more information here on tiger barbs on the Freshwater fish profiles page (Freshwater fish and invertebrates > Freshwater fish forums > Freshwater fish profiles). Also under Freshwater fish forums, you can find forums on tiger barbs. Sorry if you already know this!! Feel free to post questions here too and people with more experience with tiger barbs will chime in. They seem like a cool fish to keep as a school in a species only tank! I hear they are enthusiastic eaters!!

12. Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco Well Known Member Member

If you get a warranty that protects you I'd definetly go for the 60 gallon....bigger is better

13. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

Having just bought a Top Fin starter kit from pets mart I 100% agree! I've replaced the heater, thermometer, and hob filter. I'm even gonna replace the lid and lights but I have to custom make a clear lid bc my tank measures weird. The glass lid top fin makes doesn't even freaking fit.
    Don't buy a starter. The stuff is almost junk. Not quite but close

14. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

I've gone through four starter kits (two 20 gallons and two 10s) in under a year from them cracking, sides starting to blow out, and replacements arriving damaged. I personally will never buy another kit again. They're too expensive for the quality of equipment you receive, especially since almost everything has to be replaced.

15. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

I think it depends on a few things... for example, if you are buying a starter kit to use as a QT, and you got a good price on it, it would probably be sufficient. Also, if you are housing minimal fish or have a minimal bio-load, like a Betta, or a shrimp colony, again - the kind of filter that comes with a starter kit would do the job. If you don't plan on any live plants, the lighting isn't too big of a deal.

When it comes to the quality, that will vary from place to place. The selection of starter kits (in my area) at Walmart is terrible, and very low quality (numerous complaints lodged on the website). Would never buy there. Petsmart is a step up in quality and selection. Big Al's is a much better place for quality (higher prices, but you get what you pay for!) and selection is good.
    So different things will suit different people's needs. :)

16. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks, I have not had a problem with my two 10 gallon tanks. But am thinking of waiting for the dollar per gallon sale. I’d really like a 55 gallon. Then I would be done for a while. I have a sump pump in my basement floor level. And my wash machine has two separate hot and cold faucets. I have read about the python siphoning pump. And am interested in how I do water changes. Which I have an idea. But need more info. The 55 would be nice though.

17. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

I have 5 starter kits, lol! I will say thougt my other tank with a proper light i got from Big Als is much better with a Eheim heater

18. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

When would be the next dollar to gallon sale anyway?

19. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

well mind you in canada we only have petsmart and no petco so im out of luck in that.

20. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried craigslist? Offerup? They might have a similar set up for less (getting ready to pick up a fully stocked 55, nice cannister filter, and a bunch of other stuff for 200$, not the best but the fish are worth that alone).
    Otherwise go with the bigger setup, even 5 gallons more is helpful for stability.
    Read up on how to clean cannister filters (different models, look up which one would be better for your tank etc.), see if that is something you feel comfortable with, i know most people accidentally flood the first time around just because of excess water coupled with inexperience. (So have a couple towels at the ready for this.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice