Questions About Buying Moss

• Thread starter Shivermetimbers
  • Start date

Shivermetimbers

So I have picked up a couple new tanks to keep me busy for a while. At least one of them is going to be a shrimp tank, and am looking to buy moss to incorporate into the aquascape.

I commonly see mosses for sale in loose form, which is typically sold by the clump, sometimes "golf ball size" or baseball etc. I also see several that come attached to a mesh and sold by the size mesh, ie: 1"x1" or 2"x2"
In a typical "golf ball" size is that the equivalent of the amount you will get on a roughly covered 2"x2"? Is it more? less? if more how many portions of these mesh's do you think you could make?

What is your preferred way to buy moss? I see a lot of people buy on mesh and just leave it on the substrate to grow. Anyone do anything different with it? can you mold the mesh to wrap around driftwood? or is it too rigid for that?

Also, any way to make sure you aren't introducing hitchhikers when buying moss? I would think they are rather sensitive to a bleach dip. Any suggestions to make sure snails or eggs in the moss don't make their way in? I'd like to keep clear of these if possible, unless I end up setting up a pea puffer in one of the other tanks, and then they would be needed.

Thanks for everyone's help with this. I have about a week or so before I finish gathering up supplies to start this tank up. Feel free to post photos of your favorite mosses in your tanks for inspiration, or any types you would avoid.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
I prefer getting it in clumps. You get a lot more than you would on a mesh square. it’s also a lot cheaper, you’ll sometimes find sellers who sell it for $3-5 buy 2get one free. And the moss on mesh usually goes for around $12.
You can form the mesh to your liking if you want, so that’s a good thing.

moss is not a sensitive plant so you can dip it in bleach, just be sure to thoroughly rinse it when you’re done. But so far, I’ve had luck with all the moss that I have purchased and gotten no hitchhikers.

sinned4g63

Well Known
Java moss is pretty universal. I have a small piece of weeping moss in my 30 and I love it, it just seems to grow so much more beautifully. I use flourish glue (safe super glue) and just wrap it around the driftwood, never needed to use mesh or anything. Just rinse it really good in tap water, maybe soak it in a bucket overnight. That's all I do and never seemed to have an issue with snails. *knocks on wood* I have videos on my YouTube linked in my signature.

Shivermetimbers

Thanks,
I have actually only seen java moss for sale around me, one large petco magnet store usually has a small little cup with a clump inside, but it's a coin flip if it'll be green, and I have never actually gotten a straight price on it because it's never tagged. The other is a lfs which has a mixed reputation from what I understand and the tank with the java moss is also loaded with mts and duckweed....so I'd rather not buy from that one as it has 2 things i'd like to avoid. That leads me to likely purchasing online or through a fb group.

I wouldn't mind java moss, but there seem to be so many cooler (IMO) varieties that I would rather put in the tank. Another petco by me I can sometimes find the tissue culture cups which sometimes have riccia in them, but that seems to be more of a floater.

Top Bottom