Questions about adding lights under a low hood.

Temijun1

I have a new planted tank with a very low hood on it. There are some cheap leds on the hood. I’m planning in increasing the lighting in the tank but I like the hood. Keeping stuff from jumping out, slowing evaporation, hiding equipment and a sleek look. Is there any way I could attach decent grow lights under the hood?

Or do you guys have a better solution?

Islandvic

Glass hood or black plastic hood ?

Temijun1

Black plastic

Islandvic

The brands Mingdak and Nicrew sell submersible LED lights in various lengths. They come with suction cups, but velcro may work better to secure under the hood.

Or dill out a pair of holes at each end of the light on the canopy and use black plastic zip ties to secure it.

Do you live near a PetSmart?

If so, they price match the Chewy website (which they own) and they had Marineland 21" "Hidden LED Light Strip" on sale for $21. In store they are outrageously priced. I bought one and it clips on to the inner rim.

kallililly1973

Maybe some rope lights run back n forth will give u a decent amount of light and still b able to hide it

Temijun1

The brands Mingdak and Nicrew sell submersible LED lights in various lengths. They come with suction cups, but velcro may work better to secure under the hood.

Or dill out a pair of holes at each end of the light on the canopy and use black plastic zip ties to secure it.

Do you live near a PetSmart?

If so, they price match the Chewy website (which they own) and they had Marineland 21" "Hidden LED Light Strip" on sale for $21. In store they are outrageously priced. I bought one and it clips on to the inner rim.
Ive seen the mingdak submersible lights. I figured that they would be less than optimal for growing plants. Is that true?
I have considered drilling holes but I am afraid of getting the lights wet.

Temijun1

Maybe some rope lights run back n forth will give u a decent amount of light and still b able to hide it
I have never heard of rope lights that will grow plants. I will look into this.

Temijun1

Is there any simple way to keep fish from jumping out in a hood less tank?

FinalFins

Really, most fish will jump if they want and are given the opportunity

Temijun1

Yes, especially betta fish it seems. Not a risk I want to run.

Temijun1

How well will the submersible lights be at growing plants?

kallililly1973

Is there any simple way to keep fish from jumping out in a hood less tank?
Keep the water pristine and have some surface plants and there will be no reason for them to leave your tank

Islandvic

What size tank is it again ?

Temijun1

20 gallon. I'm putting a betta sorority in it so chances are there will be fish jumping regardless of how good my water quality is.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies