Questions about a used tank Question 

Artsy Mom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We MIGHT be getting a big bow front tank from my husband's friend. It looks like it has been sitting empty for a while and has a ring of dried algae in it. I have no Idea if it was used for salt or fresh water. If we get it we'll probably use it for fresh water fish.

Tips for cleaning it out if we get it? Is there a way to tell if it was used for saltwater fish? My huband's friend might not know.

Thanks.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would try just using really hot water and a rag to scrub it up. if that doesn't help, vinigar works well, i've heard

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use dilute bleach but you have to rinse like crazy. You are better to try hot water or vinegar first. Lots of soaking will hopefully work.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know if bow front automatically means acrillic (I would think its acrillic)...but if its glass you can use a razor.

GL

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would try vinegar first. I've used it on used tanks with good results. If it's acrylic I'm not sure what you could scrub it with. I used a green kitchen scrubber on a used acrylic sump and created tiny little scratched that left a haze.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a glass bow front tank, so not they are not all acrylic, unfortunately.

if it is glass then just scrub it down really well, check the seals to make sure they look good and not all dried out, and leak test it.

If its acrylic, then I'm not sure, i've never had to clean an acrylic tank.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just wanted to add, use the white vinegar, not the apple cider vinegar.

Artsy Mom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. Turns out my husband was slow asking his friend about the tank and by the time he asked his friend had just sold it to someone else.

We're keeping our eyes out for other tanks though!

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you end up buying a used tank I have a great tip for you.
Go to your local auto parts store and buy a small container of turtle wax brand rubbing compound. It is like wax but it has some hardeners in it. There is another member on here who came across this and researched it and found it is safe to use and is very effective. I used it on my used 120 gallon tank and it was the only thing that took off the the white hard water stains. If you use the search feature on this forum you can find the original thread with the info but basically the abbraisives in the rubbing compound are not as hard as glass so it can't scratch your glass but will take of the stuff on the surface of the glass. I had worked on my 120 gallon tank for two evenings with vinegar and the results were poor. I literally had the entire tank cleaned in less then an hour with the rubbing compound.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good to know flyin-lowe (hey, that rhymes!). I'll store that in my list of things to remember.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads