Questionable Water

Ziggy Stardust

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok I've been doing some thinking about water..... When it comes to filling my 10g tank I don't feel comfortable using my tap water due to it being hard im afraid it's going to cause hardwater build up on the glass and the equipment. Is there a bottled water you all would recommend and or water balancing chemicals?

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When you use bottled/purified water, you then need to add back in everything the purifying takes out. I wouldn't worry about the hard water too much, I have pretty hard water, as in like 8.2-8.4 out of the tap, the only time you'll get hardwater build up is if you let the water evaporate like crazy, and even then it's not noticeable once you fill the tank back up, that's my experience at least.

Travis Bradbury

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Look up on RO(reverse osmosis) systems. They purify the tap water 100% leaving ONLY just the water.. all metals, chemicals, etc are gone.

This NEEDS to be used for saltwater tanks, and some shrimp tanks.

Trust me if you dont wanna use/trust your normal tap water, use this on it.
It will also save you tons of time and money (although they are not that cheap.. buy a used one). Instead of going to the store, logging around bottled water, etc, just fill up a big drum full of RO water and there you go.

If you decide to use it, just know you need to add minerals and good bacteria that tap water has to offer back into it. You can either buy a supplement, or when doing a water change, make the water your putting back in 75% RO water, 25% tap water (maybe even 50/50).. or if you have a drum of RO water, add tap water right to it and theres your WC water.

May I ask what your tap parameters are?

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could add some deep cleaning to your schedule every couple of months or clean various parts of your hood and tank top regularly to try to reduce the look of the hard water evaporation results.

Ziggy Stardust

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i cant remember what the levels were i need to pick up a new test kit and re test it.

Look up on RO(reverse osmosis) systems. They purify the tap water 100% leaving ONLY just the water.. all metals, chemicals, etc are gone.

This NEEDS to be used for saltwater tanks, and some shrimp tanks.

Trust me if you dont wanna use/trust your normal tap water, use this on it.
It will also save you tons of time and money (although they are not that cheap.. buy a used one). Instead of going to the store, logging around bottled water, etc, just fill up a big drum full of RO water and there you go.

If you decide to use it, just know you need to add minerals and good bacteria that tap water has to offer back into it. You can either buy a supplement, or when doing a water change, make the water your putting back in 75% RO water, 25% tap water (maybe even 50/50).. or if you have a drum of RO water, add tap water right to it and theres your WC water.

May I ask what your tap parameters are?

IRTehDar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I too have liquid rock comming out of my tap. I just use it and adjust my fish selection to species that fits the water. I can imagine that having to mess about with the water too much or having to haul it home must get old quick. Not to mention expensive in the long run. Its much easier and mich less tedious to just work with what you have.
And get yourself some snails. Snails does great at keeping hard water buildup at bay.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom