Help Questionable Pet Shop

Jasper77

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I went to check out the pet shop I used years ago and got a good sized gift card for yesterday just to see what they had and check the place out and wow has it changed. The old owner retired and sold it, the new owners are nice and all but the fish situation doesn't look good. Dirty tanks with major allege problems, rotten dead fish, others dying, live plants in terrible condition. The living fish all *appear * to be healthy and they do still have a pretty good selection of freshwater fish.

Question is do I take the chance on fish from there? If I do what can I do to increase my chances of success (beyond the norms of fishkeeping)?

If I didn't have a $100 gift card for there I wouldn't be asking. Keep in mind I haven't started cycling the tank yet so I won't be introducing fish or plants into a existing environment. I certainly won't buy plants there, almost no selection ontop of being in bad shape.

Thoughts?

Mathew8888

Reaction score
I mean it is your choice but in my opinion I would look for the healthiest and most active fishes there and choose among them... But if all the fishes are in bad shape then don't bother...

OP
J

Jasper77

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah a lot of them looked great! Good color and active just the lack of maintenance was troublesome to me.

Mathew8888

Reaction score
Jasper77 said:
Yeah a lot of them looked great! Good color and active just the lack of maintenance was troublesome to me.
Then go for whatever fish you want to buy!

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd probably stock up on some medicine with that gift card just so I'd be ready if it comes down to it. Should you get fish from there that is.

grump299

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can use it to get equipment (filters, heaters,lights) or food and not have to worry about it.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can buy a QT for any fish you get there …
I agree on buying hard goods and not fish from there..

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do they have a suggestion box? write a note, or talk to the manager/owner or send an email to voice your concerns on the conditions of the tanks, and that those conditions are the main contributing factors to fish getting sick/diseases, and that you are reluctant to buy any fish from them.

OP
J

Jasper77

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's a great idea on buying dry stock there and fish/plants elsewhere. A lot of my dry stock is already bought however but there's stuff I still need.

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pick the healthiest fish, QT with praziquantel and other prophylactic meds

adder70

Reaction score
Similar to other posts, the bottom line is failure to clean tanks doesn't necessarily mean failure to keep tank water in good shape. If there are sick or dying fish there and awesome looking fish, those awesome looking fish could be the ones that just arrived and aren't damaged by the water conditions so far. I'd stay away from their fish unless you catch them on delivery day. (That has its own issues with travel stresses, but might be better than dealing with fish that have been in their tanks.)

aae0130

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only way to train them in doing it right is by not buying anything. Let them slide into a sales decline and they will figure it out.

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can always bring it up to them in a nice way. Maybe they are still doing it because nobody has said anything. I'm sure if you say something they might get embarrassed and fix it.

On the other hand, if you don't feel comfortable buying fish, buy fish food, water conditioner etc.. decorations maybe? rock, woods? you can do a nice aquascape with those $100

ScareCrowe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aae0130 said:
The only way to train them in doing it right is by not buying anything. Let them slide into a sales decline and they will figure it out.
While I agree the best way to affect change is to hit the bottom line so to speak, I would agree with the post below your maybe mention it to them in a nice way. Maybe spend your whole $100 gift certificate on equipment food etc & then explain to them when you're checking out that you wouldn't have bought anything if you didn't have the coupon & explain why.

The reason I say this is while they might figure out why people aren't buying they might not & just end up going out of business or just giving up on selling fish & concentrate on other things. Then you have less places to shop when you want something. For that reason I'd let them know, if they ignore you then you did your best to help.

OP
J

Jasper77

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
One thing I noticed about the place is that the dead fish where almost entirely livebearers, platies and mollies. One platie tank has about 8 living fish and four dead ones, a mollie tank was far worse, like 3 living and 7 dead. So I wonder if there's some kind of conditioning issue that's really hard on those species. Like I said earlier what was troubling was how decomposed the dead were, I was in there in the morning and it wasn't like these fish died overnight, they had been dead for days and left in there.

Certainly going to weigh my options however

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe it was a new shipment and they were having losses ?
Most stores I go to will not sell fish till out of quarantine usually about a week after they received the stock.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won't touch on what's already been said, but I will say "algae problems" made me go, "Hmmmm".

Personally, I LOVE algae in my tanks. It sucks up nitrates, produces CO2, gives fish who eat it a healthy snack and I love the way it looks in my tanks. Super natural. If I go into a petshop and see algae in the tank, it definitely doesn't rub me the wrong way.

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
aae0130 said:
okay well the money was already spent there... hence the gift card

I agree with what the others say, don't get fish if the selection makes you uncomfortable. If something isn't selling at a store, they won't stock it

New Threads