questionable driftwood

1. k9z3boys Member Member

I got some driftwood from a reputable fish store- who actually knew what I was talking about when I said I needed driftwood for the pleco and they guided me to the correct wood, and recommended to soak it, etc. my rubberlip really likes it for chewing on and hiding.
    I require another piece for the BN- I found some wood at petsmart that is labelled 'driftwood' ( the petsmart people had no clue they had driftwood or that the plecos ate it....) it is soaking now, and probably will for a couple days, I am confident it is real wood, and not plastic. does It matter the type of wood for the BN? do I just bite the bullet and go back to the other place and get the same as before or try to make the unidentified one work?
    any other suggestions beyond soaking it? :confused:

2. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I would suggest filling up a bucket with water and testing the ph. (if your ph changes on it's own, leave the bucket sitting until the water changes to its actual ph). Then after you fill up the bucket with water, stick the driftwood in it(or as much of it will fit into the bucket) and let it sit for a few days. Then take out the driftwood and test the ph of the water again. This will help make sure the driftwood is safe and won't affect the ph in your tank and hurt the inhabitants. :)

3. fishingdeep Member Member

Glad we aren't worried about bacteria or any other thing we can infect the tank with. Its your money, but I always wonder also. So start with your wonder and know you are adding bacteria that will not show up on any test kit and it may show up. I don't know how to help you out, but we use a 3 step process to lower any problems. If you add any weak fish you will add step 4 then we have an issue

4. atc84 Well Known Member Member

Uhm, i highly doubt there is any harmful bacteria on the driftwood. And i have no idea what you are talking about for the steps...

You could take a small chip off the wood to see if it's plastic or wood inside, but it shouldn't be too hard to tell just from feeling it. Idk, maybe they make fake wood really good these days. Plastic wood would be nice, since it wouldn't release tannins or change pH... hmm.

Both wood and plastic float, but after a couple days wood will sink, especially if you boil it it'll sink faster. depending on the size it won't change the pH much, and it if it does i wouldn't worry about it.

5. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

there wouldn't be any harmful bacteria sense the wood was just sitting in the store?
    honestly you have nothing to exert about as long as you check the ph.

6. fishingdeep Member Member

atc84, I can't smell harmful bacteria either, but I don't like a dirty tank either. I think the 3 steps are mentioned here

7. atc84 Well Known Member Member

Are you talking about tannins? tannins are chemicals that make the water appear dirty.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Just run boiling water over it & soak, that should take care of any nasties that might be lurking.
    Some people say to boil it but I think that makes it rot down quicker.
    Tannins won't do the fish any harm, in fact just the opposite as they do have mild antibacterial properties & imo give the water a more natural appearance rather than it being bright white.

9. k9z3boys Member Member

im not super worried about the tannins, im mostly concerned about the BN pleco eating it. I am confident it is real wood.

10. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I always collect my driftwood. Wood that has been drifting in the environment for months or even years has seasoned and lost the soft tissues that would rot quickly in the aquarium.

I have never had any problems with driftwood collected from lakes and dried in the sun for several months over summer. Some in my aquaria was collected ten years ago and is still going strong. Best of all it was free.