kim8

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 65 Litres
How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? Canister
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 25 degrees celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
3 Peppered Corydoras, 2 Bronze, 2 Panda

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 6.4 (pre-CO2), 6.0 (when CO2 turns off)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily
How much do you feed your fish? 2x pinch of New Life Spectrum (NLS) Probiotix daily except when frozen bloodworms 2x week.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? NLS
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? First noticed it inside the tank 5 days ago but fished it out recently when rescaping hardscape and got a better look at it from above the fish.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Localised growth/lump on the right lower aspect of the Peppered Cory, appears to be unilateral only/left side appears normal(?)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not yet
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Was born and raised in the tank
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behaviour appears normal, appearance as described above, please find attached photos below (I apologise, there are no side on shots, in hindsight I should have netted it and snapped it).
1.png
2.png
3.png

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I first noticed this peppered cory cat exhibiting this bulge on its lower right abdomen recently but did not take much notice as I thought it was likely bilateral and the opposite side showing similar pattern. However today I was rescaping the tank and had to remove all fish and found that this abnormality was only found on its right side. It is still capable of swimming and eating normally. I thought it may have been due to indigestion and proceeded to place some de-shelled peas inside the tank but all cories refused to pay attention as they're accustomed to more protein options. Another differential diagnosis is dropsy however I've only seen it in my guppies and they it appeared to be diffuse as opposed to being contained to one side.

Help much appreciated, thank you.
Kim

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore sorry your fish is having an issue.
It does look like some form of growth as it’s only affecting one side, however fish disease/ailments aren’t really my thing but we have lots of very knowledgable members that hopefully will be able to offer some suggestions today

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First, your tank is too small for them. Corydoras need a 20 gallon tank. Your pH is too acidic for cory cats, so your pH might be affecting them.
DoubleDutch will also help.

OP
K

kim8

Reaction score
Sprinkle said:
First, your tank is too small for them. Corydoras need a 20 gallon tank. Your pH is too acidic for cory cats, so your pH might be affecting them.
DoubleDutch will also help.
Thanks Sprinkle. Originally it was just the peppered cories in a previous slightly smaller tank, but I relocated them 6 months ago to this one. It was only recently when a friend got disinterested with the hobby that I inherited her bronze and panda juvenile cories, and I am waiting for them to get larger before giving them to the LFS. Would pH affect them severely? I have raised 3 generations of the peppered guys in this pH but would sincerely reconsider if it was.

Please find attached some new photos. Please excuse the GDA on the glass, I just purchased a new light and really need to get a dimmer as it is far too strong. She(?) is very skittish with the new lights as well so I tried as best I could.

1.pngUntitled.png

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kim8 said:
Thanks Sprinkle. Originally it was just the peppered cories in a previous slightly smaller tank, but I relocated them 6 months ago to this one. It was only recently when a friend got disinterested with the hobby that I inherited her bronze and panda juvenile cories, and I am waiting for them to get larger before giving them to the LFS. Would pH affect them severely? I have raised 3 generations of the peppered guys in this pH but would sincerely reconsider if it was.

Please find attached some new photos. Please excuse the GDA on the glass, I just purchased a new light and really need to get a dimmer as it is far too strong. She(?) is very skittish with the new lights as well so I tried as best I could.

1.pngUntitled.png
Alright, I understand your current situation. I would give them to your lfs right now which would be much better for them. And yes, corydoras are hard water fish and your pH is most likely to be affecting them.

New Threads