Question

howieg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
can any1 tell me I have a betta (Elvis) i've never seen him do this before. he's been flareing his gills out kinda like them lizards. is that normal or not?
and if not what's wrong? thanks

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to FL, howie. Is Elvis looking at his reflection? (It's normal for bettas to flare at other bettas.)

OP
H

howieg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I guess he can. i've moved him into a new 5 gal. tank 2 weeks ago he was upset for a while but now he's back to his old self, except he's flareing his gills and it only started today. so if that's all it is, I don't have to worry?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A flaring betta is perfectly normal. That's just their way of letting you know (or the betta they see in the reflection) that the "enemy" needs to get away from their territory. As long as your water parameters are on target, I wouldn't be concerned.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I agree, Elvis is showing off his big bad self. lol

Tigerfishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome, it sounds like he's settled in and is claiming his territory from himself lol! Flaring is fine, one of mines seems to think whenever he does it, it triggers a food release! When I open the lid and he sees my hand, he flares, then he gets food. The reason the lid is open in the first place is to feed, he does not realise this!

Wait till your boy blows a bubble nest, he's all grown up then!!

OP
H

howieg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks every1 I'm still new with bettas and yes he just started blowing a bubble nest now

Aquagirl1978

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bettas are great I'm so addicted to them cause they are so gorgeous!!!! Hes absolutely normal, hes showing himself whos boss, lol. I have a female who flares at her reflection in the glass all the time. I didnt know the females flared until recently so it was a surprise to me too!!!!! My male flares at the little Budda statue I have in his tank.

lyndra

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Flaring is normal, one of my bettas flares every time someone walks past his tank...

New Threads