Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by howieg, Apr 13, 2010.

1. howiegNew MemberMember

can any1 tell me I have a betta (Elvis) i've never seen him do this before. he's been flareing his gills out kinda like them lizards. is that normal or not?
    and if not whats wrong? thanks

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

welcome to FL, howie. Is Elvis looking at his reflection? (It's normal for bettas to flare at other bettas.)

3. OP
    OP
    h

howiegNew MemberMember

I guess he can. i've moved him into a new 5 gal. tank 2 weeks ago he was upset for a while but now he's back to his old self, except he's flareing his gills and it only started today. so if thats all it is, i don't have to worry?

4. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Oh, no. We'll always give you more to worry about! ;) (I am just kidding).

Is the tank cycled?

5. OP
    OP
    h

howiegNew MemberMember

6. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

To me, it seems normal. But I haven't had a betta in 6 or 7 years... wait for more advice. :)

7. OP
    OP
    h

howiegNew MemberMember

ok! thank you!

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

A flaring betta is perfectly normal. That's just their way of letting you know (or the betta they see in the reflection) that the "enemy" needs to get away from their territory. As long as your water parameters are on target, I wouldn't be concerned.

9. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    I agree, Elvis is showing off his big bad self. lol

10. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore :p

11. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Welcome, it sounds like he's settled in and is claiming his territory from himself lol! Flaring is fine, one of mines seems to think whenever he does it, it triggers a food release! When I open the lid and he sees my hand, he flares, then he gets food. The reason the lid is open in the first place is to feed, he does not realise this!

Wait till your boy blows a bubble nest, he's all grown up then!!

12. fishtroyWell Known MemberMember

He's just flaring. . . that's their way of showing aggression. He's just letting his reflection, an ornament or anything really know who's boss!

13. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!!!!

14. OP
    OP
    h

howiegNew MemberMember

thanks every1 im still new with bettas and yes he just started blowing a bubble nest now

15. Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Bettas are great Im so addicted to them cause they are so gorgeous!!!! Hes absolutely normal, hes showing himself whos boss, lol. I have a female who flares at her reflection in the glass all the time. I didnt know the females flared until recently so it was a surprise to me too!!!!! My male flares at the little Budda statue I have in his tank.

16. lyndra

lyndraValued MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Flaring is normal, one of my bettas flares everytime someone walks past his tank...

17. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Glad to hear about your nest! It's a great time...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice