Question -

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody thinks it would be bad for me and my sister since we have another one gallon tank - to get a female betta - we do a 50% water change EVERY SINGLE DAY and feed them properly and everything. we take great care of them and they always have warm, clean water. even in the small 1 - 1.5 gallon. we would really like to rescue another betta- female. We would name her Tanzie. please let me know your coments and concerns!! Miley

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a heater/filter I would say its OK. Betta's live in very small waters in the wild. I kept mine in "betta bowls" for a year before figureing out I was torturing them!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Miley, bettas do need to be able to have a really steady temperature and a bit more room than one gallon. I know this is not what you want to hear, but the tanks like the one you have for Oscar do not cost that much and you can save up some money and get one and then you can have your female betta and give her a lot of room to live in. It just adds to their stress and they do not live as long.

You will do what you decide to do, but I truly wish you would not put another betta in a small container (less than 2.5 gallons)

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with Rose. Female Bettas are much more active than males and I think they need more space. I have three females in a 10 gallon tank split which means they each have about 3.5 gallons of space and that STILL isn't enough. They seem crowded in there swimming back and forth all day. I'm waiting to buy a tank stand so I can transfer one of those girls to my large Kritter Keeper and split the tank in two. That way all the fish have 5 gallons. That really is the minimum you should have. Females will try to jump out all day if they feel the space is too small. They need lots of room. Just wait and save up and get a bigger tank. I know you think the one gallon tank is being wasted but it really isn't suitable as a home for any fish. You could use it as a temporary place to put a fish if you needed to remove them from their tank for a short while for any major cleaning but really nothing more than that.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - so no. thank you all! Miley

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I'm glad you decided not to although I'm sorry you can't get another Betta. You made the right decision. Maybe someday you will be able to get a bigger tank, and then you can rescue another Betta but she will be much happier than she would have been in a 1 gal.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - i really wish i could have though- but i geuss its probably best :-[ . oh well .. Miley

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup it's the best thing to do, but I know exactly how you feel. :-/

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
eah - not even if we put Calamarrie into the one gal and give Tanzie the 1.5 gal? not much bigger but.. ya know. besides Cal is getting alot older now and so hes not as active. Miley

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Miley. But the answer is still no. It wouldn't be fair to Cal, when actually none of them should be in that small of a container.

CherryRose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok - that sucks... Well maybe some other day!! Thanks you all so much for all the help! Miley

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom