Question

emilai333

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Points
176
I was just curious if there are any small sharks that would do OK with our tetras, Chaos the Loach, and possibly some guppies? I'd love to get one but if there isn't a species that would work out OK, I won't. We currently have a 10g but my rm would like to upgrade to a 30 or 40.
 

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Messages
2,672
Reaction score
2
Points
198
I think for the most part, the sharks get quite big, and would require at least a 55 gallon tank to thrive. If you are looking for a more aggressive fish, or one with more personality, try looking at cichlids. They come in all sizes and some are quite personable. If your tetras are the types that aren't nippy, a pair of angels would be a nice addition to that tank, but not with guppies. The guppies would be perceived as a threat because of their fancy finnage. Also, depending on what type of loach you have, the 55 would probably be better. Loaches also usually prefer to be in groups of at least 3 to be really happy. Go to www.loach.com and let us know what kind of loach you have.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

emilai333

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Chaos is a black kuhli loach.
I don't care about the aggression of the fish; I just happen to like the look of sharks. When we go back to finish filling our 10g (or to buy a bigger tank), I'll see if there are any smaller fish that have a similar look, which would go OK in a 10 with the fish I have.

If instead of a 30 or 40 we went with a 55 (we probably won't, but just in theory) would a shark be OK with these fish? If we upgrade the tank the guppies will remain in the 10g, most likely.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

emilai333

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Points
176
good question. I need to find that out next time I go over to the lfs. I forgot to check when we bought them. My rm pointed to a fish she wanted; our friend would tell her if it would be OK in our tank; and we would get it.
 

Puppypower

New Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Points
151
Hey

I don't think there'd be much of a problem with a little rainbow in your 10g tank. General rule of thumb, if it can fit into they're mouth, it probably will end up in their. This doesn't apply to a Black Shark, when they get big enough, they will eat a fully grown red devil I've heard, so don't get one

55g is for guppies & tetra's, big enough, i am going to put a 12cm Black shark in my 10g & get 2 oscars to go with him So, I'd say the size of the tank is fine, but bigger is always better.The more water there is, the harder it is to throw out of whack when it comes down to Ph & stuff.

Pupps
 

justin

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
151
emilai333 said:
I was just curious if there are any small sharks that would do OK with our tetras, Chaos the Loach, and possibly some guppies?  I'd love to get one but if there isn't a species that would work out OK, I won't.  We currently have a 10g but my rm would like to upgrade to a 30 or 40. 
bala sharks.
 

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Messages
1,872
Reaction score
1
Points
208
Experience
5 to 10 years
justin said:
emilai333 said:
I was just curious if there are any small sharks that would do OK with our tetras, Chaos the Loach, and possibly some guppies?  I'd love to get one but if there isn't a species that would work out OK, I won't.  We currently have a 10g but my rm would like to upgrade to a 30 or 40. 
bala sharks.
Bala Sharks get to 13 inches and need 55 gallons of space
 

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Messages
1,872
Reaction score
1
Points
208
Experience
5 to 10 years
Puppypower said:
Hey

I don't think there'd be much of a problem with a little rainbow in your 10g tank. General rule of thumb, if it can fit into they're mouth, it probably will end up in their. This doesn't apply to a Black Shark, when they get big enough, they will eat a fully grown red devil I've heard, so don't get one 

55g is for guppies & tetra's, big enough, i am going to put a 12cm Black shark in my 10g & get 2 oscars to go with him  So, I'd say the size of the tank is fine, but bigger is always better.The more water there is, the harder it is to throw out of whack when it comes down to Ph & stuff.

Pupps
OMG!!! Oscars grow to 13 inches! and each need about 55 gallons of space. Also the smallest sharks are 6 inches and need a minimum tank space of 55 gallons.
 

Puppypower

New Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Points
151
Except perhaps a Red Tail, they don't grow too fast, from what I've seen. But they're generally more aggressive than a rainbow so.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom