Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by comethazine, Apr 16, 2017.

1. comethazineNew MemberMember

I am getting a 55 gallon aquarium tomorrow from a buddy of mine and with the tank comes a 10 inch pleco that I am worried about because I planned on putting all the fish from my 29 gallon into the 55. The fish I plan on transferring are 4 cory cats,2 angels, 4 TigerBarbs, 1 blue gourami and one Rainbow Shark. Now my question is, is this a good idea to transfer them with the Pleco? Also what other fish can I add?

2. MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

If you are talking about a common pleco then 55 gallons is not enough and you should consider rehoming it.

Tiger barbs should be in groups of 5+ or even 10+ to prevent fin nipping of the angelfish.

I would also bump your school of corydoras to a group of 6+. What type of corydoras are they?

I would say that once you add these suggested fish you would be fully stocked.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. Manoj AroraValued MemberMember

Yeah it will be too much. You can't keep the pleco as well as all other fish which you listed together. You need a bigger tank

4. PlantpotValued MemberMember

I agree 55 gallon tank is not big enough but with regular water changes would be ok till you could rehome , however if you wondering if he would harm your other fish then in my experience pleco's are not at all aggressive towards other fish, they do need a bit of driftwood to graze on

5. James17Well Known MemberMember

I had a common pleco kill a Pictus Cat, if he doesn't get enough food it could happen. I don't know why that happened to this day.