Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bubbafreshwater, Jun 27, 2016.

1. B

Bubbafreshwater New Member Member

Can you school tiger barbs and diamond Tetras together

2. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

I don't think they will school with each other if that's what you're wondering. Tiger barbs will school with variations of their kind (green tiger barbs, albino tiger barbs) but I don't think they'll school with other species of fish.

3. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yep, their a whole different species.

4. OP
    OP
    B

What I meant was can a school of diamond tetras live with a school of tiger barbs in a 29 gallon tank

5. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Bub...

Barbs are aggressive fish and do best with other fish as large or larger than they are and not a species you want in a group of small fish, especially in a smaller tank. If you want to keep Tetras, then keep them with other species of Tetras or peaceful fish like some of the livebearers like Guppies, Platys or Swordtails.

Old

6. OP
    OP
    B

oldsalt777 ok what if my Diamond tetras are around the same size as my barbs because since I had my tank I have 1 diamond tetra due to my rainbow shark killing my 2nd one with 6 tiger barbs and my tetra been fine

Btw I found a new home for the rainbow shark found out the hard way it's not compatible with my size tank

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think diamond tetras would get too big for a 29g. What about doing one large school of tiger barbs (10-12) of the different color variations - green, albino, etc. ? I think that would look pretty cool.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't mix diamond tetras with tiger barbs. Diamonds (especially the males) have large flowing white fins that would just beg the tiger barbs to nip. Diamonds get over 2 inches as well so having tiger barbs AND diamonds would be pushing it I think.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Will take that into consideration el337 I'm just tryna incorporate these diamond tetras for my girl I can care less about that fish

10. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again Bub...

If you have fish with Barbs, the other fish need to be as large or larger than the Barbs and those other fish need to out number the Barbs. Your Tiger Barbs will be more aggressive if they don't have a big enough tank and if they out number the other species of fish. Barbs are comfortable in larger numbers of their own kind, 6 or more. The Tetras will work if they're as large or larger than the Barbs and out number the Barbs. Hope this makes sense.

Old

11. el337

Why not just have the diamond tetras in there and rehome the barbs?

12. OP
    OP
    B

to the no lol I love those fish I bought them mid size so when I bought 6 it cost me 42 dollars that diamond was free cuz when u buy the tank they give u 20 dollars worth of free fish but another question if I get glo tiger barbs that are smaller will my bigger barbs end up killing them?

13. el337

Oh, so you have diamond tetras in there already? How many?

I don't have experience with tiger barbs so I'm not sure if they would pick on the smaller ones.

14. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

Why not get a separate tank for the tetras or barbs. You mentioned your girl liking the tetras. . . I'm assuming this is your partner or daughter. Get a separate tank for the tetras and she can take care of them since you don't particularly want them for yourself. =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice