Question With Hornwort

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by TheFishmonger, Aug 10, 2019.

1. TheFishmonger

TheFishmongerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have a question. I got two full hornwort "plants", meaning 6 full stems lumped up together. I added in them in the 5.5 gallons. They did shredded a bit, but I also added Black Rubby Barbs yesterday. It seems to me that the fish peck at the hornwort. I have seen them do it, but I am not sure if it's the fish that caused such a leave loss or the plant simply adjusting to the new environment and shredding. A full quarter of both "plants" are simply gone. I added them all in the 20 gallons thinking the fish would be busy pecking at each other in the bigger tank.

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hornwort is especially notorious for needle drop when added to a new tank so it is the most likely culprit. After you start to see it rebound you can clip off the new growth and trash the old growth to help cut down the shedding of you would like.

3. OP
    OP
    TheFishmonger

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks for the help. I was worried after I saw the floor covered in hornwort needles and the plant thinning.

4. OP
    OP
    TheFishmonger

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Any plants recomended with thick leaves that do the same job as hornwort? I have been watching the fish for the past hour and when they get an idea in their heads, it's hard to distract them. Ever since the leader of the school of my five Black Ruby Barbs decided to go nip the Rotala Walichi, they are ontop of it like flies and milk. They watch me get up from my table soon as they start nipping and move away from the plant..only to return after I sit down. They are very cunning for their size and stubborn. So I am going to have to look into plants with thicker leaves that can still provide lots of cover. These needle leaves seem to be an issue.