Question(s) about Kribensis

Anabantiformes
I have a 36 gallon planted tank with

8 rummynose tetras
8 khuli loaches
1 golden wonder killifish
1 kribensis
I want to get another kribensis for the one thats in there already hes a male, my worry is that if I get a female or two for him they will spawn, is it worth the risk? I wont be able to return the females once i buy them from my LFS. Also could I mix and match the colour varations(ie rainbow krib with albino krib)

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
Well yeah, if you don't want babies, don't get a female. Not a guarantee they will breed, but is a guarantee they won't breed if not a male/female in there.

Advertisement
Redshark1
Its terrific to have a pair that spawn and bring up young. But then the pair will probably be very aggressive and may want the whole 36 gallons. There's no guarantee that the pair you have will get on they are often incompatible. At least, you may have to experiment with them. Also, you will have lots of young to dispose of although I believe Golden Wonders swallow everything that fits in their mouth.

I'd be inclined to just stick with the single one that you have but if you have never bred them before then I recommend seeing them breed at least once in your life. I don't know what the young are like if you cross them but I'm sure they could breed together.

It seems like a nice community you have there. If you are satisfied with what you have I wouldn't disturb it with another krib but if you want to experiment I think its an opportunity.

chromedome52
Female Kribs are the aggressive, territorial sex. The male may get more aggressive should they spawn, but he can be bullied by a female half his size. If you don't want to breed them, stay away from the females. Regular and albino are still the same species, Pelvicachromis pulcher.

As for breeding regular with albino: the albino gene in P. pulcher is unique in that it is a dominant trait rather than the usual recessive of other albino fish. So if one parent is albino, you are guaranteed to have at least 50% albino young. If the albino parent is homozygous for the gene, all the young will be heterozygous albinos.

Redshark1
It was good to learn about the albino form. I have seen it but never kept it. I'm not particularly attracted to it but the regular kribs seem rather dull these days. There are sometimes a few wild-caught species available.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kaz82
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views