Question regarding potted annubias nana? Can I leave it in the pot?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by aliray, Aug 2, 2015.

1. alirayFishlore VIPMember

I bought a potted annubias nana yesterday , It even has a blossom on it. My question is ,it came in the black slotted plastic pot with what I assume is rockwool. I would like to leave it in the pot , just sitting on the bottom. I already have it planted on my driftwood . I was wondering if the roots will grow though the bottom and would act the same as if it was tied to driftwood, at least until it gets too big for the pot. Has anybody done that before , and did it harm the plant? I like being able to move it around. Alison:confused:

2. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hmm, not sure it would do that well enclosed. I always superglue gel mine to small flat rocks so that I can move them around my tank, so thats an alternative too.

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

i have gotten plants with the roots growing through the bottom of the pots. Not anubias, but I don't see what difference it would make. I suppose like a house plant kept in a pot, it may outgrow it one day.

4. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

The rock wool will hurt the roots in the long run, as it chokes them together. While the plants will last a while in the wool, the sooner you take the wool off, the better the roots can grow, as they can actually spread out, this will improve the overall growth of the plant. If you wanted, you could take off the wool, and superglue the rhizome or a few of the larger roots inside a small terracotta pot, this way you could still move it around but the roots would be able to grow freely.

5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The rock wool does not do anything to inhibit the growth of the plant or roots. To say it does it completely incorrect.

6. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I was always told that it crowded and constricted the roots to some extent, and didn't let them spread out as well. I could be wrong, but I thought rock wool was more meant to be a temporary media for growing young plants prior to sale, in that it provides enough for them to get started but not meant to be a permanent thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Rock wool is used in hydroponics. As long as it has not outgrown the pot itself, the rock wool won't hurt the plants or roots at all.

8. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Good to know, learn something new every day.

9. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

10. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

11. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Isn't that the key-issue? Will anubias grow well in substrate? Won't roots in substrate not start rotting (just like Javafern)? I was always told to remove te rockwool cause the vibres could "irritate" fish / gills.

12. alirayFishlore VIPMember

One of the reasons I asked was that I had bought 2 of the annubias Bartelli or however you spell it. They had just come in to the store and had very long green roots on them. The driftwood pieces that I bought planted with annubias nana are planted through a hole in the driftwood and have the same green roots where they grow into the substrate. Also when I was picking out this one ,there was another one that had those long green roots growing through the rockwool and plastic pot that it was in and rooted in the substrate, which is what got me thinking about it. I have tons of experience with terrestial type plants and about nil with aquatic plants. Just wondering if the same principles would apply. ie growing roots in water verses in dirt such as pothos roots in water or dirt. If that makes sense to anybody but me:confused:. Alison

13. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It does make sense Allison, but I don't know hahaha

14. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Anubias grows fine in substrate. As well as Java ferns. Just leave the rhizome exposed. As far as fibers irritating the fish's gills... Never heard of that one. Probably someone being overly cautious and thinking of problems that aren't there. Nothing wrong with that I guess. But the rock wool is packed so tight I don't see that being a problem.

I just know I have left plants in pots with rock wool for months with no ill effects on the plants or fish.

The plants will get what they need whether they are planted or not. Hydroponics in a way I guess.

15. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I'd think it may depend on the type of plant too. Root feeders like crypts and swords I think would be better in the substrate as the roots would have better access to nutrients, where as water column feeders would fare better with rock wool as they'd just absorb what they need from the water column. While i don't think the rock wool will hurt plants, I think they'll have better root growth, and overall growth without it in the long run of things. Anytime I've ever removed rock wool, I see how tightly the roots are packed and crowded together, and can't help but think they'd be more efficient at absorbing nutrients as well as growing stronger with the roots having more freedom to spread out.

16. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Swords were one of the ones I kept in pots. I know everyone here says how swords are such heavy roots feeders. Me experience with them is they do just fine in a low light gravel set up with nothing but fish waste to feed from. And the one time I kept them potted for longer than anticipated and they did fine. I have also kept them in high tech tanks and they literally grow like weeds. So I guess I don't know the right answer. Other than the old what works for one person may not work for another.

17. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Makes sense, and a lot of plants are very adaptable in the sense that they can grow in such a wide range of parameters, low to high light, lightly to heavily fertilized, low or no CO2 to injected, they can grow anywhere in between, the growth just varies based on the setup. I think a lot of it also boils down to personal experience as you said, and preference.

18. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Personal preference.

Ken

19. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Thank you all I really appreciate all the help and responses. .. Alison;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice