Question Regarding GBRs/ Electric Blue Rams

Dshen
I originally had a female German Blue Ram in a 55 gallon and decided to add a male so they could pair. From what I have been told Electric blue rams are simply color morphs of the GBR and are the same species. Thus, I added a male Electric BR. However, so far the female GBR has been chasing the male Electric blue ram. Any ideas why this is happening? Is this normal? And will they eventually get along? The male is not fighting back at all, just swimming away.

Thanks

Advertisement
hampalong
They're both man made colour varieties of the wild Ram. Are you sure they're male and female?

Advertisement
Dshen
For the female GBR I am basing this on red round belly and speckling on the dark vertical stripe. Is that enough evidence? The electric blue was chosen by a pretty reputable LFS.

hampalong
Red belly is usually female, speckling is irrelevant. If she has a red belly then she is in or close to breeding condition, so she will not accept a male that isn't, and will chase him from her 'territory' and wait for one that is. She will also chase away another female...

Can you post good pictures of them?

Dshen
Will do so tonight, please check back! ty

chromedome52
If she was there first, she may simply be defending her territory. If you can, rearrange tank decorations so that she has to establish territory all over again.

Advertisement
Dshen
Here are pictures of the Female GBR and Male EBR. Please confirm! Ty.

Dshen
Red belly is usually female, speckling is irrelevant. If she has a red belly then she is in or close to breeding condition, so she will not accept a male that isn't, and will chase him from her 'territory' and wait for one that is. She will also chase away another female...

Can you post good pictures of them?

hampalong
Not sure about those. I would guess the standard Ram could be male, and the other, which looks more like a Gold Ram than an EBR, is probably female.

Wait for chromedome52 's opinion.

alink
I think both are female.

Advertisement
Dshen
what makes you think the EBR is female?

alink
chromedome52
They both look female to me at this point. No dorsal extensions, body shape, ventral fins usually longer on males.

I also agree that it's not a very good EB Ram.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
wannj
Replies