Question Regarding Algea On My Lids

Kmarroquin89

Quick question: what would cause algea to grow only on one side of my tanks lid? On both my 10 gallon and 55 gallon, every time I do a weekly W.C. I notice algea only on one side of the lid. On my 10 gallon I get algea only on one light and my 55 gallon I get it on the glass of only one side of my lid. What would cause this? I'm guessing it's Algea bc it is green.

BigManAquatics

Best i can think of maybe a slight lean to that side of the tank, possibly keeping that side a bit more damp, or maybe those sides are more exposed to natural light during the day.

Kmarroquin89

Best i can think of maybe a slight lean to that side of the tank, possibly keeping that side a bit more damp, or maybe those sides are more exposed to natural light during the day.
No. They aren't by any windows at all. The both have led lights. My 10 gallon has the lights attached to the lid itself the 55 gallon has a led bar sitting ontop on the lid..... my floors completely level also so it's not really leaning any direction if that's what you meant?

BigManAquatics

Yep. Probably not a big deal though. Fish don't really mind algae.

KingOscar

The filter flow could be causing this. Likely more condensation build up on the algae side. If it bothers you you could try adjusting the filter flow (or reposition them) or add an air stone to the other side.

SparkyJones

yep the filter flow. specifically the output or return disrupts the surface, and little bits of water evaporates and splash a bit and thwe glass gets wet, then theres' the light, and bam, sheeting green algae is growing! I get the same thing on my lid under the light wherever I put my sponge filter those bubbles pooing on the surface cause a little mist and over time, betwee that and the light it's good for algae to grow there.

Nothing you can do really but either clean it regularly, or let it sheet up and eventually hang down and fall off into the tank where the fish can get it.

Kmarroquin89

Yep. Probably not a big deal though. Fish don't really mind algae.
I know just weird how it only grows on one side Instead of both
The filter flow could be causing this. Likely more condensation build up on the algae side. If it bothers you you could try adjusting the filter flow (or reposition them) or add an air stone to the other side.
I have an air stone on each side if the tank and both flows are the same. Wide open
yep the filter flow. specifically the output or return disrupts the surface, and little bits of water evaporates and splash a bit and thwe glass gets wet, then theres' the light, and bam, sheeting green algae is growing! I get the same thing on my lid under the light wherever I put my sponge filter those bubbles pooing on the surface cause a little mist and over time, betwee that and the light it's good for algae to grow there.

Nothing you can do really but either clean it regularly, or let it sheet up and eventually hang down and fall off into the tank where the fish can get it.
So question, should I clean it? I know on my 10 gallon if I don't clean it makes the light not shine as bright. My 55 don't really make a difference either way. I usually clean it while I'm doing my weekly w.c. but didn't know if it was good or bad for the fish and why it happened on only one side since the flows are the same and filters and bubblers on each side.

KingOscar

Most don't want the lights blocked by any build up on the bottom of the lids, so cleaning is necessary. If you do it regularly it's really no problem. Let algae or scale build up and it becomes a big project.

SparkyJones

I know just weird how it only grows on one side Instead of both

I have an air stone on each side if the tank and both flows are the same. Wide open

So question, should I clean it? I know on my 10 gallon if I don't clean it makes the light not shine as bright. My 55 don't really make a difference either way. I usually clean it while I'm doing my weekly w.c. but didn't know if it was good or bad for the fish and why it happened on only one side since the flows are the same and filters and bubblers on each side.
that's exactly right, if you don't clean it it will block the light, and it will eventually sheet off if there and fall into the tank. if you just wipe it down when doing maintenance, it never really has a chance to build up, if you leave it there a long time, it does etch into the glass and and make it white even when clean where it was, takes a while to do that though. does no harm if you leave it, does no harm if you remove it, but if you don't want it dimming the tank lights, or etching the glass, clean it when you do your water changes. it washes basically right off.

Kmarroquin89

Most don't want the lights blocked by any build up on the bottom of the lids, so cleaning is necessary. If you do it regularly it's really no problem. Let algae or scale build up and it becomes a big project.
Gotcha ok ty!
that's exactly right, if you don't clean it it will block the light, and it will eventually sheet off if there and fall into the tank. if you just wipe it down when doing maintenance, it never really has a chance to build up, if you leave it there a long time, it does etch into the glass and and make it white even when clean where it was, takes a while to do that though. does no harm if you leave it, does no harm if you remove it, but if you don't want it dimming the tank lights, or etching the glass, clean it when you do your water changes. it washes basically right off.
Gotcha ok ty

BigManAquatics

Yeahi get the same thing on my tanks, most covers one side only. But i only check it once every few months lol!! In my case, wipes off pretty easy, a swipe with a paper towel usually gets 95% of it.

KingOscar

that's exactly right, if you don't clean it it will block the light, and it will eventually sheet off if there and fall into the tank.
Thanks for reminding me of this phenomenon, Sparky. It's been a loooong time since I allowed it to happen.

SparkyJones

Thanks for reminding me of this phenomenon, Sparky. It's been a loooong time since I allowed it to happen.
mine still does it, because I'm lazy. I pretty much only clean that glass if the water starts looking grey or green from the light passing through it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Thehoodguy8
  • Algae
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
  • Panda_Mo
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Panda_Mo