5 Gallon Tank Question Re Aqua Clear Media

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, folks. If you remember me, you might remember Fishy Boris, who went to his reward last July. I'm only just now starting over.

I'm using a different filter this time, an Aqua Clear, the smallest for my five-gallon tank. I seem to remember reading that it's advisable to replace the charcoal with filter floss. I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly. Can someone tell me about the best media for this type of filter, and in what order to pack them in?

Thanks!

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, folks. If you remember me, you might remember Fishy Boris, who went to his reward last July. I'm only just now starting over.

I'm using a different filter this time, an Aqua Clear, the smallest for my five-gallon tank. I seem to remember reading that it's advisable to replace the charcoal with filter floss. I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly. Can someone tell me about the best media for this type of filter, and in what order to pack them in?

Thanks!

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Thanks!
All on the forum sticky...

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi This link above is great for making the best out of HOB filters, but if you want the simple answer... Carbon is not usually necessary. I can help to clear the water a bit, (but filter floss does so more efficiently), remove odors, and strip the water of medications. So, if you haven't used the carbon yet, save it for when you need it. The best thing about Aquaclears are that you can put what you'd like in them. Yes, if it were mine, I would replace the carbon pouch with filter floss. If I may suggest... go ahead and get floss from the sewing section at big box stores. It's much cheaper than buying from a pet store and you only need to make sure it is 100% polyester without flame retardant properties. A big bag for about $10 will last you forever.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom