Question on Taking Pictures Smile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I did take some pictures of my discus and with a 10 mega pixel camera at that. Yet still the quality is not that great and I am disopointed with how they are turning out. I have tried aquarium lights on/off flash on/off top view side view dead on from an agle all but up side down on my head I dont know what they deal is.

Everytime I talk about my fish people want to see pics and I want to put them out there but I want good pics to post and I am just not getting them the way I want to.

I have seen people have the fish laying flat in their hand while some one else takes the pic for them, while these pics look better than the ones thru the glass I realy do not want to take the fish out of his enviroment and deprive him/her of air even if only for a minute then put him/her back in the tank, talk about stressing the fish out.

Is there any camera people out there that has the secert to doing this? I also have a digital camcorder I thought about shooting video to see if this turns out better but I have not done that yet.

Any sugestions I am willing to try em other than actaull physically taking the fish out of his home to do, I want to get pics of them in their home made enviroment where they can at least move around in feel more comfortable in and brethe for crying out load, lol thank you in advance everyone.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hold my camera right up against the glass at a slight upwards angle, so the flash doesn't bounce off the tank glass. I utilize the "portrait" setting on my Kodak Easyshare Z650 and it usually gives me a good picture. It's tricky because the light flashes at a slight delay after I depress the button and I have to hope the fish stay in the same spot. hoto:

Just keep trying different angles until you find one that works for both you and your fish.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What I've been told by most of the people who produce excellent pictures is that they take about a billion pictures, then pick the one that worked.
Because your subjects are moving, and can't be told to stop, it's kind of hit-or-miss whether you happen to get a good picture or not.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok cool thanks for the sugestions, Slug I will check the link you provided as soon as I get home I am at work rite now but I will certainly try evrything sugested, I really want some good pics to show, thanks again!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you are going to use the flash, put a regular white tissue in front of the flash as a diffuser. It makes the flash light softer, not as harsh and washed out. I almost never shoot without diffusing the flash now that I've seen the difference.

Are you using a point-and-shoot camera? How much control do you have over the settings? It really helps to be able to control your shutter speed and aperture. If you have an action or sports setting that might help.

If you could explain more about what isn't turning out right, ie out of focus, too dark, motion blur, etc, and also post some of the pics I can give you some more guidance.

-Lisa

Last edited:
OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I will post em as soon as I can but they seem washed out to me, I have tried it with and with out the tank light on with or with out flash dosnt seem to help what if I put up a darke back ground like something black on the back side of the tank I ownder if this owuld help? I have a digital cam and they really do not give you a ton of options at least not witht he one I have it is a 10 mega pixel but I will have to see if there is an action setting or something I will post osme pics and you can have a look ok.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I put them on my thumb drive to do this at work and duh I forgot my thumb drive I will post them tonight so you can see what I am talking about

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey I am a fish helper now cool!!

Ok if I did it right here they are

Ok invalid file I will have to try again lattr got to help the wife with diner for the kids and stuff they just got home from school choas

Hello. I've merged your posts since they were back to back. Don't forget about the EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most point-and-shoot cameras have all kinds of presets, like action, portrait, beach, snow and dSLRs have even more--mine actually has a pets preset.

If yours has a macro setting, use it. If it does, the button or dial position will have a little flower symbol on it. This allows you to get closer. The few pics in my pic section were taken with my macro lens and are really detailed full-size.

What image editing software are you using? Washed out photos can usually be fixed in post-processing.

-Lisa

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Iam not even sure what it is using to open it up. I just right click and select open with Media Player then I tried to copy and paste the image into a word document, i thought for sure that would do it what do you think i should be using? is there anything free out there I can download? I do not think I have the disk that came with the CD any more. we moved a few months a go and sad to say some things go lost, miss placed, put into our storage unit by mistake left behind or more than likely in a yet to be opened box. With a wife and my three girls its a wonder I can find my way to bed at night, lol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can go to the manufacturer's website and download the image editing program that works with your camera. Depending on how advanced you want to get, GIMP is a free image editing program that rivals Photoshop. I used it for years until Photoshop somehow itself on my computer.

And I feel ya on the unopened boxes: we've been in this house about 4.5 years and *still* have unopened boxes.

-Lisa

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GIMP is a free image editing program that rivals Photoshop. I used it for years until Photoshop somehow itself on my computer.

-Lisa
The GIMP rules. Actually, I prefer it to current versions of Photoshop (it has actually gotten worse recently, in my opinion). The only problem is that the GIMP isn't as intuitive as Photoshop is. It takes a bit of time to learn how to use it.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I know all I want is something simple to use and I just want to take some decent pictures of my fish but as soon as find a program I can post the imiges I have I will, I think I may go to the mfg web site and download the driver for my cammera once more, it be easier than going thru a ton of boxes I would think.

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will have to look into that, free and simple thats what I like, thank you eveyone. I will see what I can do about getting those pictures up as soon as possioble. Oh and by the way I just wanted to say I may be getting another discus tonight that would make four total. I have now a Blue Diamond, Flachen, and a Cobalt.
Do you remember when I said I was trying to get my discus to eat by hand? well the funny thing is I had it happen finally last night one time then again this am the funny thing is it was my Flachen discus to do it which is weird because he is the latest addtion you would think it be the first additon to my tank the cobalt to try first. Well I think the others will soon follow both the Blue Diamond and the Cobalt got extremely close even closer now that the Flachen discus has leed the way hopefully it wont be long untill all of them are.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use Irfanview
I cant believe you said that! I have been looking for that software program for years!!! I used to use it all the time but when I got a new computer (now it's old ) I forgot the name of it and I've been trying to for years!

PS: Yes, it's still free.... I just did it...
...thanks again

OP
Fish Monster

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks guys I will be doing that tonight I just been so busy trying to get money to finish up my collection got 4 now and then I will focus on getting the pics posted I got a Red Marlboro now in additon to the cobalt, blue diamand, and flachen so I am getting there 2 more to go man this is hard work I just do a 40% wc the night I got him before I put him in with the other and I did a wc of about 30% the day before just to get ready for the new "guy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom