Question On Starting Nitrogen Cycle With Fish Using Prime

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by PeachesPanTao, Jul 18, 2019.

  1. PeachesPanTao

    PeachesPanTaoNew MemberMember

    Hi, I recently started a tropical freshwater 20 gallon aquarium using a starter kit I bought at petsmart. As I've learned after adding my fish, 5 days is not enough to establish a nitrogen cycle. Therefore, I will need to get the cycle going with fish. I was told Prime is a good product to use alongside regular 10% water changes.

    In regards to adding Prime, I have a noob question. Does treating with Prime (or any conditioner for that matter), doing a 10% water change, and then adding an appropriate dose to the new water cause the conditioning chemical to slowly build up to unsafe levels? Or does removing the 10% of old water remove a portion of the product that was there before, making it ok to add more treated water? I'm worried doing 10% water changes and adding Prime to each new batch of water will cause a gradual build up in the proportion of chemicals in the water.
     
  2. Asomeone

    AsomeoneValued MemberMember

    The concern is not the things in prime...the concern is the buildup of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Welcome to the hobby but no I would not worry about prime. Water conditioner in general is designed to take chlorine out of the water youre putting into the tank. If using prime it does a couple more things which you can research, all beneficial.
    Good luck
     
  3. Skavatar

    SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

    Prime only lasts up to 48hrs.

    It can also be overdosed 5x the dosage to detox up to 2ppm ammonia.

    basically if you have any ammonia, overdose with Prime. test 48hrs later, if there's still ammonia, do a 50% water change, then overdose with Prime. repeat every 48hrs.
     
  4. Momgoose56

    Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

    OP-look it up. The manufacturer of Prime, does not recommend "overdosing" tank with Prime as a routine. They only recommend dosing Prime at 5 times it's normal dose as a one time treatment, when ammonia levels exceed 2 ppm and water changes aren't possible to lower those ammonia/nitrite levels. (Like after a hurricane or disaster when uncontaminated water source isn't available...)
     
  5. Skavatar

    SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

    that's why you need to test every 48hrs. you don't have to overdose 5x. that is if ammonia is 2ppm after a 50% water change, which means 4ppm when you test before the water change.

    adjust the dosage accordingly. for example, i just got a 75g tank last week, moved everything from my 29g to it, including all the bio media. but i'm getting .25ppm ammonia so i've been testing and using a regular dose every 2 days.
     
  6. hanra85

    hanra85Valued MemberMember

    If I understand the question correctly, you want to know will doing daily water changes during your accidental fish-in cycle lead to a build up of prime causing an overdose, and not asking whether it's safe to be using it as a primary means of ammonia control for extended periods right? In that case, no the buildup from treating the water for your daily water changes with prime will not cause any issues. I won't go into full detail about the concerns with a fish-in cycle since it was accidental and you're no way out now but through it, but is getting some gravel or cycled media from a friend or your local fish store an option.
     
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. Momgoose56

    Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

    10% water changes aren't going to handle your ammonia/nitrite levels in a cycling tank. You need to test your water aboot every other day for ammonia and do big enough water changes to keep the ammonia level below 1ppm. Adjust the size of your water changes to the level of ammonia and nitrites in the water. Prime won't be a problem while you're cycling. You'll be doing big enough/frequent enough water changes to keep it from building up.
     
Loading...