Question on keeping shrimp

1. Plush Initiate Member

I want to start a little 5 gallon shrimp tank, but I am worried about them breeding and overcrowding. Any tips on how to make them not breed or a fish that will eat the fry and only the fry?

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Well it depends what kind of shrimp you want. If you want Red Cherry Shrimp they breed often. You can get ghost shrimp which don't breed as much as Red Cherry Shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

On a side note. Lid... make sure you have a sealed tank, andd with an air stone since the full lid will block airflow. Yeah learned all this the hard way, and if you end up getting small shrimp make sure you figure out a way to prevent the filter from sucking them up. Good luck!

4. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Go with cherries. They will breed if ur tank is good. Use nano fish as a support thinning out crew. Someone is selling nano fish at a great price atm. Id buy it but too broke atm hah

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Fish that would eat the babies would be harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, guppies, and other small fish. Only guaranteed fish to not eat shrimp is the Otocinclus.

6. Plush Initiate Member

I have decided on RCS and 5or6 tetras(is that too many for a 5 gallon with the shrimp in there too?). I got an air pump as recommended too.

My main problem is I don't have a true hideaway for the shrimp. I got a nice bushy cloth plant for them to climb etc. but I lack a ground hideout for them to go to. All the ones I see at pet stores are expensive and fairly large. Does anyone know of a home made idea or a retail one that doesn't take up too much space?

7. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't personally put any tetras in a 5 gal. They need more swimming space. A couple of (male, if you don't want to deal with the fry) endlers would do all right, and they should also serve as some population control--possibly even too much, depending on the fish.

In my RCS tank I have driftwood and guppy grass, and in my betta + shrimp tank I have driftwood + java moss + anubias nana. The shrimp like hanging out in the plants, both for food and for hiding. Both java moss and guppy grass are fairly easy to come by and easier to grow.

8. Plush Initiate Member

After you recommended no tetras I went and researched and I would have to agree. Most get pretty large and even the small ones are too active where I'd feel bad putting them in such a small tank.

After some more research I decided to try and see if a pet store near me has dwarf rasboras. They are small and tend to prefer smaller tanks. I think they should do fairly well with my small group of cherry shrimp...Hopefully they will be good enough at eating the baby shrimp so I don't run into a shrimp takeover.

9. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

You can do a shrimp only tank with RCS. They will slow down and stop breeding on their own. They have a way of self-regulating their numbers. If you have too many for your liking you could always transfer the extras to another shrimp where they may get eaten. You could try to sell the extras to a LFS for store credit. You could sell extras locally on craigslist or something like that.

10. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

What is the name of the red and white striped shrimp? And can they be bred to fire red cherry shrimp? Or should they be bred to red cherry shrimp

11. Archie1208 Member Member

Dwarf emerald rasporsas. Very small and will help with thinning the crowd.

12. Archie1208 Member Member

Sorry - last thought. If you companion shrimp do not do the job, you could always cull the young yourself as a treat to your other fish