Question On Filter Flow

Betta02

HI all, have a question regarding filtration. I'm working on my 65 gallon, and will be putting two Marineland Penguin 350 Filters on it. I will be stocking with small fish, one type being Hatchetfish that don't care for too much water flow. So, with these two filters I have (I think) more than enough filtration. The filters do have flow adjustment and I will be turning the flow rate down to keep the fish happy. My question is, all filters are rated GPH on flow rate, is this based on being turned all the way up? If I turn down the flow rate will it reduce the filtration rate as well? If so, is there a good way to fix this issue without increasing the water flow rate into the tank?

TWiG87

I can’t say for sure, but I’d be willing to bet the GPH rating is at max flow. If you dial them back, they will be moving less water and in turn, not turning the tank over as often. You might want to think about a large sponge filter for some added filtration without a lot of current

JimC22

Yes - the GPH is the ideal unobstructed flow in/out of the pump. There are many factors that affect flow. Your filters pump will deal with how clean your filters are and how clean the intake is. Dialing down the flow rate will decrease your filtration process.

Ideally you would like a 9X - 10X turn over rate to size of your tank. 2 - 350 GPH filters is adequately sized for your tank. Depending on how much you decrease flow you may be under this. One way to make up the difference is going with a sponge filter. Not too expensive and easy to install.

You can buy a system or do a DIY. Google it and take a look.

Islandvic

I think those two filters will be just fine for a 65g with "stocking with small fish".

I wasn't aware the Penguin 350 filters had an adjustable flow? I know the new models Marineland release are adjustable, now called a Penguin 375 Pro.

The gallons per hour rating is usually rated for the pump only, not the entire filter with media in it.

I wouldn't get to caught up with providing a certain amount of GPH for a certsin sized tank.

If there isn't going to be a large bio-load in the tank, one Penguin 350 plus a pair of large sponge filters driven by a decent dual outlet air pump will suffice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Finatic005
  • Question
Replies
Views
GlennO