Question On Filter Cleaning

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two filters in my 45 Gallon tank. First one is a smaller one submersible filter whih is in the tank for almost six week old...the second filter is almost 4-5 weeks old and is a canister filter. I run canister round rhe clock, the other filter only occasionally as the fish like to play with its bubbles.
Question - how do i clean the filter? One by one? Wont that kill the bacteria?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
good gut instinct! yep, all you want to do is turn the filter off, take the media out and put it into a bucket of tank water (NOT tap water) and rinse gently. then replace and turn the filter back on. i would alternate - do one filter every other month so that every month you're cleaning one filter.

Jenoli42 said:
good gut instinct! yep, all you want to do is turn the filter off, take the media out and put it into a bucket of tank water (NOT tap water) and rinse gently. then replace and turn the filter back on. i would alternate - do one filter every other month so that every month you're cleaning one filter.
I just saw your thread about nitrites. if you have nitrites in your tank, then i would avoid cleaning your filter media until you're fully cycled. eg, until you have 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite as stable constant test results. then you can worry about cleaning your filter media.

i don't worry about cleaning mine unless there's an issue with the filter flow (eg, a blockage) or if my nitrates build up faster than normal in any given week. honestly, i clean the media every 2-3months. many people clean monthly, though.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely dont "clean" until your tank is fully cycled, and then alternate each filter and ONLY take the media out and swish it around in tank water and put it back in. I dont have a set schedule for my filters. Some go 6 months, others get rinsed once a month. It all depends on the bioload.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys..it cleared lot of doubts. You guys rock!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom