Question on drilled sump filter overflow

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys. I'm upgrading to a sump filter for my next setup with a drilled overflow in the tank.

My question is, I would like to connect a stem to the overflow so it pulls detritus up from the substrate and as a fail-safe, would a hole in the stem below the water surface stop the syphon so it doesn't drain the tank in the event the sump pump fails?

Interested on your thoughts. Pros & cons. Thanks.

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess it's possible if you encapsulate the overflow box inside an outer box. The inner box which has a low rim (or grate) will dictate the water level and prevent siphoning. The outer box should have a high rim and you can have that take water from the substrate. You can run a pipe all the way down to the substrate, or you can make this box cover the entire wall and have intake grates at the bottom. If the port at the substrate clogs for any reason, water will flow through the top of the outer box and into the inner box.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey matsungit. Long time no see.

Thanks for the input, however, I'm not overflow/sump savvy so I'm looking at a simple, straight plumping through the fish tank glass, straight down into the sump filter. Durso pipe but no box. Will that work?

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
macca said:
Hey matsungit. Long time no see.

Thanks for the input, however, I'm not overflow/sump savvy so I'm looking at a simple, straight plumping through the fish tank glass, straight down into the sump filter. Durso pipe but no box. Will that work?
hahaha I know right? Unfortunately if you don't install an overflow box it will likely siphon.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm assuming you meant 'not' syphon!? Anywho... Will chuck a box on

KDS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I doubt it will work because the durso isn't a syphon. It is an overflow that mixes air and water. Also, why take detritus to the sump? You will just have a mess to clean later that would have been better removed by an occasional gravel syphon during water change. There are other overflow setups that are a true syphon, but I wouldn't mess with those to do what you want. You would just end up with an overflowing tank and water on the floor imo.

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I'm envisioning what you first described correctly, I think it will work. But you have to make sure your siphon-stopper hole doesn't clog up, or you lose your safety. And, the siphon-stopper will short circuit things to some extent, drawing some water from that upper level all of the time.

We need to draw pictures to make sure we're on the same page.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's exactly it. I tried it with a 16/22 hose and although the hole was fairly small it stopped the siphon immediately and I agree I would have to check the hole regularly which will be part of routine maintenance anyway.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking a durso standpipe at the back of the tank with the 90' elbow in the tank and a stem from that elbow to the substrate. I don't see how it's any different seeing that the elbow with or without the stem will be below the water line and the hole on the stem below the water line will break the syphon from the substrate as the water level drops.

Just an idea for a secondary overflow to help with detritus from the substrate (sand) as my next tank will be 3 foot high will be a pain to vacuum regularly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom