Question on decorations from Amazon

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by atb224155, Jul 14, 2015.

1. atb224155

atb224155Valued MemberMember

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Personally, I don't have any experience with them, but I do know you can these Petco:

Remember, especially with bettas, run your fingers thoroughly over and through any ornaments you buy for him. Wouldn't want those gorgeous fins getting torn. :)

3. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

The only ornament I bought from Amazon was an Egyptian Vase ornament. Ive had it maybe about a month, and the finish is already flaking off. I guess it depends where its made, and how well made it is.

4. OP
    OP
    atb224155

atb224155Valued MemberMember

Okay, thank you guys. I haven't officially decided to purchase them yet.

5. FishtailBraidValued MemberMember

Though, the worst ornament I ever had was a tiny one that cost $14... after a few weeks, paint was literally peeling off just from gentle touches with the siphon! My best has been a much bigger $6 one I just got at the same big-box store where I bought my tank... But I guess the bad ornament was at least made of fish-safe paint, as my fish didn't die from having what was clearly a significant amount of paint floating around...

6. waterlilykariWell Known MemberMember

I have some from various places that were losing paint or fading within a matter of a couple weeks. I have others that have lasted ages and not so much as faded or chipped. It can be hit or miss with tank decor quality

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. FishtailBraidValued MemberMember

So true... And price isn't an indicator either so what are we to do? I wouldn't be something super-cheap or dodgy though, as, as I said above, at least the expensive ornament was clearly fish-safe in the sense that even though it deteriorated, it didn't seem to have toxic effects thankfully (though the tank's only inhabitant was a betta; no idea what would have happened with inverts or more sensitive fish).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice