Question on building refugium

caseyholland
I'm building a refugium for a friend. he gave me a tank and som plexiglass. I know how to build them, ive done it before, my question is if anyone can reccomend an adhesive to connect the plexiglass to the real glass. I want somethinf really strong, and of course safe for a reef.

Steve113
caseyholland
I have some good silicone, but I'm looking for more of a good epoxy or plastic weld, that is stronger than the silicone. I don't like using silicone as an adhesive because it doesn't last as long. in my opinion it works better as a sealant

Steve113
I would be careful of any epoxy/glues in case toxins diffuse into your water.

I've never build anything of my own so I'd check with a few others on here first.

sirdarksol
I did a quick search and could not find anything that was suggested. Everyone said to use silicone sealant. There are a few epoxies made for reefs. You might have some success with them, though I don't know how they'll fare on smooth surfaces.

soldieroffortune1974
You can use JB weld clear epoxy in a syringe,uncured it it highly toxic,and the fumes are toxic as well.Once mixed and cured,it is non-toxic and very sturdy. If you can't smell it anymore (at all) then it is safe.

(903) 885-7696 You can call JB weld and they will direct you to the best product,because to make the refugum,you will need more than 1 syringe,so they may be able to help you find a larger supply/container for what suits you best.

au01st
Mr. Sticky's Underwater Glue!

I put the baffles in my sump using that stuff and you can pick the tank up by the baffles (empty of course). You only need a little bit, just enough to make the bond, then seal it with aquarium safe silicone. One package of the epoxy mixture was enough for 4 pieces of plexiglass.

sirdarksol
I'd go with the Mr. Sticky's, then. I looked it up and found that it is specifically marketed for ponds and water gardens.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom