Question on breeding guppies

Jollypop4321

Reaction score
Hi fish lovers
I’m new to the forum

I Recently added Two ribbon fin female guppies to my aquarium Currently I have a single male that is a stunning dark blue/purple. Even his peck fins are dark and large
i also have a trio of American purples on the way. The males were separated from females before reproductive age so I will have control who. The father will be.
I want to breed the ribbon females to the purples to create American Purple Ribbon fish And vise versa.
In my short research it seams that ribbon males are unable To reproduce because the gonopodium Is elongated and unable to penetrate the females? Is this a known fact or a myth? if so is circumcision an option? If so how is it performed? Don’t really see myself doing this but info is appreciated
I see ribbon males of various breeds available for sale and They are just gorgeous. I wonder how breeders accomplish this? Especially when they are concentrating on a single strain to perfectcolor and finage? I’m sure they have to breed back to fathers right?

Jdk246

Reaction score
Lol i usually just place the ones that i think look good in my mini pond fountain that is packed with plants. Only 1 male and lots of females. if they dont breed in the next month then i usually replace them with others.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the males can breed with the ribbon females it all depends on how much they have been inbreed if they are second generation of being in breed some of the fry will be deformed and wont thrive if they are first generation of in breeding it will be fine I breed endler guppies and I cross breed them some times

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jollypop4321 said:
Hi fish lovers
I’m new to the forum

I Recently added Two ribbon fin female guppies to my aquarium Currently I have a single male that is a stunning dark blue/purple. Even his peck fins are dark and large
i also have a trio of American purples on the way. The males were separated from females before reproductive age so I will have control who. The father will be.
I want to breed the ribbon females to the purples to create American Purple Ribbon fish And vise versa.
In my short research it seams that ribbon males are unable To reproduce because the gonopodium Is elongated and unable to penetrate the females? Is this a known fact or a myth? if so is circumcision an option? If so how is it performed? Don’t really see myself doing this but info is appreciated
I see ribbon males of various breeds available for sale and They are just gorgeous. I wonder how breeders accomplish this? Especially when they are concentrating on a single strain to perfectcolor and finage? I’m sure they have to breed back to fathers right?
Well, with ribbons you do have two choices to breed them:
1.: The male used sould be a young male where the gonopodium hasn't enlarged yet.
2.: Use one of the adult males that hasn't got an elongated gonopodium.
Referring to the last one mentioned: Keeping and breeding ribbons will result in two kinds of males in the offspring. One that will develop a normal gonopodium and one that will develop an elongated gonopodium. Usually, they will use a male with a normal gonopodium to breed with. The male offspring results will also be a percentage of normal males and a percentage of males with an elongated gonopodium. Those males with an elongated gonopodium will be used at shows. But breeding with such a male is a no go.

New Threads