Question on Angel fish

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know that angelfish pair up and go there own way and do there thing. Well I have this pair here that have been unsuccessful at keeping there eggs. After 5 attempts all they do is eat the eggs. Now after a month or so nothing going on with them and it looks as though they seperated and going there own way. Is this possible?? Has anyone gone through this before or do they need a lawyer to split up there assets.

I always thought once they paired up that was that.

John

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sometimes females spawn without a male!!! r u sure u've got a male and a female? well, it is not unusual for angels to eat their first few spawns.

u can keep 1 or 2 spawning slate in the breeding tank. Otherwise, your pair may get into the annoying habit of spawning on tank walls or tubing. Discourage this by putting plastic plants around the old spawning site. Avoid wide leaf plants, another favorite in the wild.

If you remove the eggs, you can replace the slate to reduce parental trauma. The eggs may be exposed to air for a few moments with no ill effects. The fixture may be laid down to fit into the shallower fry tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes they will go a bit without spawning. But Neville has a point- you could have two females.
Carol

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Carol would 2 females get into those ugly fights such as attempting to tear each others lips off before laying eggs and still hang together? I know you got lots of expierience with Angels.

Neville I tried just putting these 2 in there very own 20 gallon tank with slate and after 2 weeks I decided to move them back into the 120 gallon mansion and 2 days later they were having caviar again. And your right about where they lay there eggs,every single time it was on the canister filters out take tubes.

My LFS that just deals with huge Angels said that you can tell females by the shape of there fore head to the fin on the top of there back when it's a straight line its a female and the males have a slight indentation in there forehead near there eyes.

But I do know the straight lined one I have lays the eggs so I'm assuming the dent head is the male. Any buddy know or observe this with there Angels? Is this a way of determining there sex?

I know I ask alot of questions and thanks for your input.

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Questions are not a problem I have heard that about the heads before but have never been 100% successful sexing them this way. When they are ready to spawn the female will have a blunt breeding tube showing, the male will have a pin like breeding tube. There is a definite difference. As for the lip lock they just might, my males do and can get rather rough at times.
Frequently you can "condition" the to spawn when you want them to. Feed them protein rich foods for several days( frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp etc- thaw before feeding) then do a huge water change. If theres a weather change on the way so much the better. Mine always spawned right before a storm no matter what I did. I thing most fish spawn in the spring in the wild when the rainey season freshens the water, changes the water temp a couple of degrees, and washes plenty of food into the water. If you can time their spawning you can put them in another tank and then move them after the babies go free swimming or hatch the eggs yourself. Hope that helps
Carol

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok, wait a minute John, u said your pair try to tear each others lips off!! usually a male and a female don't fight that way!! generally 2 males or 2 females fight that way!! what do u say Carol?

females have round breeding tube and males have cone shaped breeding tube.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes males and females will do lip lock. They are basically saying "are you man/woman to be mom/dad to my fry"
Carol

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just an update:

The 2 Angels that always hung around together did go there own ways(guess they were both females or he just did'nt know what to do).. Lawyers are being contacted as I print. ;D

Well the black marble Angel ended up with another female. This time I checked them out and the black marble has to be the male as he has a pointed thin breeding tube, and the female has the blunt breeding tube.

As he was fertilizing the eggs, would'nt you know it but on the other end of the tank 2 other angels are breeding.

Carol you are the Queen Angel , I did 50 % water changes for 2 days and here we are waiting for a snow storm to hit. So your advice on the blood worms and brine shrimp came in very handy along with an approaching storm. Still puzzled though as all my fish always get FBW and FBS along with Beef heart and other various goodies.

Plus this time I was going to artificially breed them in a gallon jar but that could'nt be done as I just had some PVC pipe(eggs were laid on this in the 120 gallon tank) laying around and I didnt feel like cutting it at the time. Here the pipe was 3 feet long, so I ended up putting the pipe in the 20 gallon tank(half of it sticking out). Later I ended up cutting the air tube where the other eggs were at and added Meth Blue to the 20 gal. tank with a huge air stone. Had to use a clothes pin to hold the airtube with the eggs  inside the tank.

The only thing that sucks, is that the 1st female from my 1st post was ready to lay eggs (breeding tube out) but had no companion :'( 

Well now I'm just crossing my fingers and hope they turn into wigglers. BTW there in the 20 gallon tank with a sponge filter.

Thanks Neville and Thanks Queen Angel ;D

P.S.

What a great way to get another tank.(bigger than 120) ;D

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounding good!! Yep that old large water change as a storm comes in just about always works Now that you know this works you can plan your spawns.
Carol

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Sounding good!! Yep that old large water change as a storm comes in just about always works Now that you know this works you can plan your spawns.
Carol
Carol oops I mean Queen Angel,

Exactly 2 days now and I see black dots (there eyes) and little tail wigglin, I guess. Some have already hit the tank bottom and some are still attached to the PVC pipe. Now heres my question:

Will these little buggers be okay with the Blue Meth still in the tank ? Last night I done a 50% water change,but there is still the blue meth in the tank.

Also the pair that was having fun on the airline tube mostly all there eggs have the eyes also, but there are white ones. They are just to close together to seperate.

So should I continue with the 50% water changes every day. Do I still add blue meth while doing these changes? I'm at a loss here..Talk about having a magnifying glass handy.

Also the 1st pair that breed the male has a dent in the forehead and the female has the straight facial feature. The 2nd pair I can't tell a difference between there features as you said, they look the same to me.

I guess I can get the Brine hatchery going probably Tuesday or Wednesday. This ought to be fun. ;D

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Continue to do the 50% water changes each day and don't add any more meth blue. soon you will see little things wiggling all over the place, then in about 3-4 days they will be swimming. They are just awesome to see. do you have some place to move the parents now ?
Carol (Queen Angel )

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Continue to do the 50% water changes each day and don't add any more meth blue. soon you will see little things wiggling all over the place, then in about 3-4 days they will be swimming. They are just awesome to see. do you have some place to move the parents now ?
Carol (Queen Angel )
Queen Angel

The parents are still in there 120 gallon tank. All the eggs were removed from there by me and are in a 20 gallon bare bottom tank. My wife can't believe how many are wigglin around,I mean the tank is loaded with these lil guys n gals.

I personally like the ones that look like there going in circles and not getting anywhere,lol.

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep their funny looking going around in circles: Your going to laugh when you hear why thy do they. They have cement glands on top of their heads that make them stick to things. all that thrashing around they do during the "wiggler" stage strengthens their muscles. Some times they even stick to each other. Soon they will be swimming around in a little cloud. this is when they will need fresh hatced brine shrimp. continue to do 50% water changes every day.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom