question of compatibility

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't found a compatibility chart that addresses this. I would like to put one German Ram in my community tank. (which is not ready yet) I read that they only get to 3 inches and are ok in a community setting. I am thinking of white skirt tetras, and a few cory cats. I am undecided about dwarf gouramis, I think I would rather have one or two German Rams. Any thoughts.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What else is in the tank?
Tom

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nothing yet-- I go and get the tank tomorrow, and I plan on cycling it first.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Then what do you plan on having in the tank?
Tom

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Genie said:
I am thinking of white skirt tetras, and a few cory cats.  I am undecided about dwarf gouramis, I think I would rather have one or two German Rams.  Any thoughts.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, when I replied to that I was really tired. I might have read this somewhere else but what size is your tank?
Tom

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi genie,

german rams grow up to 2 inches, they r peaceful and slow movers, they like to stay in groups; u have to keep 2 females for one male. background with thick plants and hiding places r necessary for these fish. u can keep tetras, discus, cories and dwarf gouramis with rams.

what is your tank size?

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
30 Gallon btw. Thanks everyone. Yay! Now I just have to find a LFS that has them.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie, Rams are beautiful, but a bit on the delicate side. You have to make sure your tank is cycled, and the ph in in their range. They do hang in the nooks and crannies down low in the tank, and so it would be good to have something else swimming mid tank. The dwarf gouramis go from bottom to top and should get along with rams.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Actually, a 2 inch ram is still immature. Adults will be about 3.5 - 4 inches. Still a small cichlid though. They do hang out in the bottom half of the tank most of the time, and my rams are never hiding - at least not when I walk up to the tank - food time! IMO the dwarf gouramis are a bit too timid to keep with a ram/rams, and the rams flittiing about the tank may keep the dwarfs hiding in the plants.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about danios or cherry barbs. And I can't get Rams around here, so I have to order them online. I won't get them until I am positive the cycle is over.

aqua man130

Reaction score
yeh go ahed its fine to put german rams in a comunity tank cause they are peaceful and i recomend it

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Genie said:
Thanks for the advice.  I am thinking about danios or cherry barbs.  And I can't get Rams around here, so I have to order them online.  I won't get them until I am positive the cycle is over.
hi genie, barbs and danios r schooling fish, u have to keep at least 6 of them in a tank to reduce their fin nipping habit.

good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom